Barrel too short for suppressor?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Smurky
Silent Operator
Location: Democratic Peoples Republik of Dane County Wisconsin

Re: Barrel too short for suppressor?

Post by Smurky »

The wrench flats are at the back of the SilCo Brakes and Flash Hiders so installing them with a wrench won't work. The SilCo wrench included with the can will go over the the pongs of a flash hider.

Installing with the SilCo wrench on the front of the Flash Hider should work. The SilCo wrench has a 1/2 inch slot on the end of it so a 1/2 inch Torque Wrench can be used to torque it on. If you go that route don't forget to account for the approximately 2 3/4 offset. You'll have significantly more torque than your torque wrench is set for. Good Luck
Last edited by Smurky on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smurky
Silent Operator
Location: Democratic Peoples Republik of Dane County Wisconsin

Post by Smurky »

Mainah1776 wrote:
TreeTopFlier wrote:Maybe space it out of the handguard by installing a jam nut first like this one. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/b ... 52-000-181
That's a thought. How do jam nuts work? I read on Brownells that they basically act like the shoulder for the muzzle device? It doesn't look much bigger than the crush washer that's on mine right now for the flash hider, but maybe the jam nut would give me what I need.
Be careful, using jam nuts with suppressors is not recommended by any of the suppressor manufacturers that I know of. They're not machined consistently enough and could cause misalignment of the muzzle device and suppressor. Thinking about this, KBA makes a shoulder ring for using a suppressor mount on a SCAR17. Stock the 17 it has a jam nut for the flash hider. The shoulder of the barrel of a 17 is questionable and is NOT recommended to use the jam nut so KBA makes a machined ring that's .1130 thick and 3/4 OD for a 5/8 muzzle device and shims to index against. On the SCAR it still leaves .6 of threads for the muzzle device. I have one on my SCAR 17 and it worked well and possibly could give you enough clearance.
Bustedknuckle

Post by Bustedknuckle »

The Silencerco asr adaptor should give you what you want, best value was on GunBroker.
Mainah1776

Post by Mainah1776 »

Smurky- roger that. I'll go with the product directions for whatever I end up getting.

Bustedknuckle- So in order to get a Hybrid mounted, I'd be looking at needing to pick up the ASR adaptor and the ASR flash hider, right?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The more things you add, the more likely you are to have problems.

The barrel you bought is not that expensive to replace, selling the one you have will be a small loss compared to a baffle strike. The loss of the difference in barrels will probably be less than buying mounts.

You're kind of being anal about a certain look, you won't be happy unless it's right.

I would get the guard you want and a barrel about 2" too long, if you can't get the right length. It's about $50-75 to have a barrel cut, crowned and threaded.

I bet the cost in doing it right won't be much more than cobbling together a bunch of shims shanks and adapters.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Mainah1776

Post by Mainah1776 »

dellet wrote:The more things you add, the more likely you are to have problems.

The barrel you bought is not that expensive to replace, selling the one you have will be a small loss compared to a baffle strike. The loss of the difference in barrels will probably be less than buying mounts.

You're kind of being anal about a certain look, you won't be happy unless it's right.

I would get the guard you want and a barrel about 2" too long, if you can't get the right length. It's about $50-75 to have a barrel cut, crowned and threaded.

I bet the cost in doing it right won't be much more than cobbling together a bunch of shims shanks and adapters.
Thanks, dellet, all good points. At this point I think I think I'll see about shaving down the guard since it just needs a little taken off. If that works then I wouldn't have to replace the barrel and have it cut/threaded. You're right though, the difference in that is probably less than extra mount/adaptor.
Bustedknuckle

Post by Bustedknuckle »

Mainah1776 wrote:Smurky- roger that. I'll go with the product directions for whatever I end up getting.

Bustedknuckle- So in order to get a Hybrid mounted, I'd be looking at needing to pick up the ASR adaptor and the ASR flash hider, right?
One or the other. The brake works well without the suppressor.

The quick adapter on the Omega 300 works well.
Looking now, for a larger i.d handguard - to fit the suppressor into.

Mainah1776

Post by Mainah1776 »

Came across the Liberty Mystic X (http://libertycans.net/mystic-x/), which is marketed like the SiCo Hybrid. Its diameter is 1.375" which would fit under my 1.46" (inside diameter) hand guard. The price is better than the Hybrid/Omega, but the db numbers on the Hybrid/Omega are a little better. I can see how people go nuts trying to decide.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The most expensive single part, and the most difficult to replace in your project will be the suppressor. Decide what is most important to you. Personally I would not make that looks.

You've been talking about $200 for a barrel and handgaurd that you could have this afternoon, dictating which $1000 suppressor you will wait a year to get.

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Mainah1776

Post by Mainah1776 »

dellet wrote:The most expensive single part, and the most difficult to replace in your project will be the suppressor. Decide what is most important to you. Personally I would not make that looks.

You've been talking about $200 for a barrel and handgaurd that you could have this afternoon, dictating which $1000 suppressor you will wait a year to get.

I see what you're saying, and I'm ok with a little space between the hand guard and suppressor, so I'm not totally wedded to looks dictating the build. I just like the hand guard and barrel that I already have, so I feel like I should find out if there are suppressor options that will work, so I'm not spending more replacing the hand guard and barrel when I could just spend it on the suppressor.