NFA items and AWB ?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BulletFactory
Silent Operator

NFA items and AWB ?

Post by BulletFactory »

If there is another ban on semi automatic weapons, ie another Assault Weapons Ban, how will this affect NFA items? Will those be outlawed as well?

I wasn't around guns when the clinton gun ban was in effect, so I don't know how it worked back then.

If they ban semi autos, but we can still use NFA items, then I will be shortening my AR barrel to 15.75", getting it re-threaded and crowned, and will go ahead and pay the 200$ and wait a year before letting anyone see it.

It's pretty obvious that the Republican party, the NRA and Trump have turned their backs on us. I see this as inevitable. The 3%ers, militias and police arent going to help us either, history shows this clearly. More likely the police would be responsible for the confiscations or at the least, the arrest of patriots who refuse to comply by asserting their rights.
savage54

Re: NFA items and AWB ?

Post by savage54 »

BulletFactory wrote:I wasn't around guns when the clinton gun ban was in effect, so I don't know how it worked back then.
The 1994 AW ban prohibited manufacture and sale of new "assault weapons". It defined AW as any of several specific named make/model, and also any semi-auto that included two or more of certain features. For rifles, that list of features included pistol grip, collapsible or folding stock, bayonet lug, flash hider, and grenade launcher. You could have one of those, but no more than one. There were similar lists for pistols and shotguns.

Any such weapons that existed prior to the cutoff date were legal to possess and sell, and many were sold throughout the ban. The same was true for magazines with over 10 round capacity. There was no requirement to turn anything in. Subsequently, some states created their own bans that were more restrictive, and I believe some required that existing owners either transfer the weapons outside of the state or surrender them.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I remember the AWB. The ridiculousness of the bayonette lugs still makes me chuckle.
BulletFactory
Silent Operator

Post by BulletFactory »

savage54 wrote:
BulletFactory wrote:I wasn't around guns when the clinton gun ban was in effect, so I don't know how it worked back then.
The 1994 AW ban prohibited manufacture and sale of new "assault weapons". It defined AW as any of several specific named make/model, and also any semi-auto that included two or more of certain features. For rifles, that list of features included pistol grip, collapsible or folding stock, bayonet lug, flash hider, and grenade launcher. You could have one of those, but no more than one. There were similar lists for pistols and shotguns.

Any such weapons that existed prior to the cutoff date were legal to possess and sell, and many were sold throughout the ban. The same was true for magazines with over 10 round capacity. There was no requirement to turn anything in. Subsequently, some states created their own bans that were more restrictive, and I believe some required that existing owners either transfer the weapons outside of the state or surrender them.
Thank you for explaining this to me. I am concerned, as our support is gone. I have spent the last couple years putting every spare dime into either the two ARs and M1A, or reloading tools for them, and I dont want to be prohibited from using them after such a large time and financial investment. The three rifles took about 10, and I've got more than that in reloading for them, what a waste that would be!
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I am old enough to have lived through the first awb too.

Stupidest bunch of drivel that ever was. Not unlike today actually. You couldn't turn on the news without the media ramping up the rhetoric. I see a lot of similarities today actually.

I don't see it going as calmly as it did the first time though.

Especially if lawmakers treat them the same as they are treating bump stocks. All this talk about confiscation and seizing and making felons out of law abiding citizens are pissing people off enough that those who would enact such laws better learn how to duck and kiss any hope of normalcy in their life goodbye. They'd be lucky to be able to show their face in public ever again.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
savage54

Post by savage54 »

BulletFactory wrote:Thank you for explaining this to me. I am concerned, as our support is gone. I have spent the last couple years putting every spare dime into either the two ARs and M1A, or reloading tools for them, and I dont want to be prohibited from using them after such a large time and financial investment. The three rifles took about 10, and I've got more than that in reloading for them, what a waste that would be!
Just to be clear, I was only describing what happened 23 years ago. That does not mean they would do it the same this time. For one thing, I think they were shocked to see that we could still buy AR-15s (so long as they weren't named that) simply by leaving off the bayonet lug and flash hider.

Also, I misspoke when I said that the flash hider was the forbidden item. Technically, it was the threaded muzzle to which the flash hider was attached that was the problem. Some manufacturers threaded the barrels, put flash hiders/muzzle breaks on, and then drilled them to accept a blind pin and pinned them in place. Since the muzzle device wasn't removable, it wasn't a threaded muzzle. The only way to get it off was to cut off the end of the barrel.

But it would be difficult (never say impossible) for them to require nationwide surrender of these guns.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Another thing that isn't brought up very much, is there are WAAAYYY more 80% lowers out there now than there were during the AWB. That genie aint going back into any bottle...
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

golfindia wrote:Another thing that isn't brought up very much, is there are WAAAYYY more 80% lowers out there now than there were during the AWB. That genie aint going back into any bottle...
Been looking into the kits for this. My guess a lot of folks are doing this. From reading the stupid bills happening in Minnesota now, don’t see anything mentioned on these.
WAWII

Post by WAWII »

Yep, my next 80% is going to be a 300 Rifle.

5D Tactical AR-15/AR-9 Router Jig PRO Review
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

the current AWB thats been proposed has the same grandfathering that the old one did IIRC.

they know thats how they have to go about it, with the millions of them in circulation these days (estimates are 10-15 million i believe, altho its probably more) trying confiscation would confirm the boogie man that they've beeen denying all these years (that nobody is coming to take your guns). They know thats a losing proposition and would likely start a civil war.

here's the current language in the HR-5087 "2018 assault weapons ban"

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... /5087/text
“(36) The term ‘semiautomatic assault weapon’ means any of the following, regardless of country of manufacture or caliber of ammunition accepted:

“(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

“(i) A pistol grip.

“(ii) A forward grip.

“(iii) A folding, telescoping, or detachable stock.

“(iv) A grenade launcher or rocket launcher.

“(v) A barrel shroud.

“(vi) A threaded barrel.

“(B) A semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, except for an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

“(C) Any part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic rifle but not convert the semiautomatic rifle into a machinegun.

“(D) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

“(i) A threaded barrel.

“(ii) A second pistol grip.

“(iii) A barrel shroud.

“(iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

“(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

“(E) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

“(F) A semiautomatic shotgun that has any one of the following:

“(i) A folding, telescoping, or detachable stock.

“(ii) A pistol grip.

“(iii) A fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 5 rounds.

“(iv) The ability to accept a detachable magazine.

“(v) A forward grip.

“(vi) A grenade launcher or rocket launcher.

“(G) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

“(K) All belt-fed semiautomatic firearms, including TNW M2HB and FN M2495.

“(L) Any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraphs (A) through (K) can be assembled.

“(M) The frame or receiver of a rifle or shotgun described in subparagraph (A), (B), (C), (F), (G), (H), (J), or (K).

here's your grandfather clause

SEC. 3. RESTRICTIONS ON ASSAULT WEAPONS AND LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES.

(a) In General.—Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended—

(1) by inserting after subsection (u) the following:

“(v) (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, a semiautomatic assault weapon.

“(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession, sale, or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date of enactment of the Assault Weapons Ban of 2018.

however here's one of the really scary parts - as if the other stuff isnt bad enough. Now i dont see anywhere that inspection of safes would be necessary (ala- Australia type rules) but this alone pretty much demands that some sort of inspection process be put into place.
“(aa) Secure Storage Or Safety Device Requirement For Grandfathered Semiautomatic Assault Weapons.—It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to store or keep under the dominion or control of that person any grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, will be accessible to an individual prohibited from receiving or possessing a firearm under subsection (g), (n), or (x), or any provision of State law, unless the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon is—

“(1) carried on the person, or within such close proximity that the person can readily retrieve and use the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon as if the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon were carried on the person; or

“(2) locked by a secure gun storage or safety device that the prohibited individual has no ability to access.”.

so in a nutshell - to sell an AR post AWB2018, it would have to be built around a CA Compliant stocks (to get around the no thumbhole thing/pistol grip thing), free float handguards would have to have an opening in the top so that they dont encircle the barrel, and of course no dirty threaded barrels.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.