SBR 300 BO

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBR 300 BO

Post by John A. »

rlandry6 wrote:
If you are simply looking for an argument, look elsewhere..
Bless your heart.

I actually am not, and this is going to be my last reply to you because I'm not going to be seen as "trollin' your topic".

While you may have known exactly what you're talking about, perhaps some of your terminology is being used incorrectly as has been politely pointed out by numerous folks trying to reply.

If you prefer to shoot with a 1911 45acp, by all means. Have at it. And don't forget that it's cheaper than over the counter blackout too.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

I apologize for my inaccuracy with terminology and the confusion it may have caused. I was merely asking about "sub-sonic" loads in "short barrel rifles" and why there was so much interest in that platform if so many people appeared to be experiencing difficulty in making that combination perform.
I have no interest in building one, I'll be shooting super-sonic only in my build. I was merely seeking information and assumed this was an appropriate place to acquire said information.
Again, apologies for any consternation my questions may have caused.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

rlandry6 wrote:I apologize for my inaccuracy with terminology and the confusion it may have caused. I was merely asking about "sub-sonic" loads in "short barrel rifles" and why there was so much interest in that platform if so many people appeared to be experiencing difficulty in making that combination perform.
I have no interest in building one, I'll be shooting super-sonic only in my build. I was merely seeking information and assumed this was an appropriate place to acquire said information.
Again, apologies for any consternation my questions may have caused.
To be on your side, I didn't take it as trowlish or troolish or whatever spelling :P .

To you question: Most with a 300 BLK SBR have a barrel a bit longer than a 1911. Most subs are in the 900-1,000 fps range to be most effective shooting subs suppressed. 900-1,000 fps is a tough go for a 1911. A suppressor doesn't get you much in the way of grins with supers. With a suppressor the smaller the bore diameter, the better the suppression capability. My understanding, the reason it was invented was to shoot suppressed.
Last edited by hardcase on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Cant really compare a pistol to a rifle regardless of the caliber. With that said, the 300blkout vs. .45 acp is far different. 300blkout was made to run lighter .30cal bullets above 2000fps and heavy .30cal subs around 1000fps generally and all this from a rifle/sbr type weapon.

.45acp is generally shot from a pistol, and its a pistol bullet. Cant compare that to a 110gr .30cal rifle bullet shooting much longer ranges.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

Well first there are several inaccurate issues with your original post.

First off, how do you figure "so many" people are having issues running subs in their SBRs (or pistols)? Is this from personal experience or from what you've read on here? If it is from what you've read, Remember, this a forum and it happens to be loaded with info so when folks are having issues where else do you go? I'm thinking that in itself is a skewed sample. I'd gamble to say those on here with zero of the issues you speak outnumber those who have issues 10:1.

Secondly, comparing a 1911 handgun in 45 running a 220 grain sub to a shoulder fired (your OP was SBRs) AR with a sub 220 grain is a pretty far reach. Sure, both are guns. Both shoot similar weight bullets the same speed but that's where the comparisons stop. It's like comparing a motorcycle to a semi truck.

Now, if it's a general knowledge of the round you seek, you're in the right place. If it's help on issues with a particular weapon chambered in 300 Blackout you're in the right place. If you want help in deciding between a 1911 and an AR I'd suggest sticking to the LGSs. Surely a typical topic in those places and full of typical opinions.
Jethro99
Silent Operator

Post by Jethro99 »

If you have problems you look for help. If you don't have problems, you go to the range. More people are shooting, not fixing.
The crime is not shooting poorly, the crime is not learning to shoot better.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

What the OP posted is really a very good/bad question simply because he has no or little experience shooting a suppressed SBR with subsonic ammo.

I think that it’s really a two part question, if not three and some of us with more experience and less memory missed it.

Is it worth the hassle of getting one running?
My response was simply it’s not a hassle to get one running if it’s put together correctly.

Wrong answer.

How many of us after shooting the first round through out first suppressor were deeply disappointed in the noise the damn things make?

So the second part of the question is “how do you build an SBR, and a cartridge to make it worthwhile”. Luckily someone addressed that at one time.
viewtopic.php?t=98869

Myself and others have put a lot time and energy into figuring out what it takes to make the whole package work. Much of that was documented on this forum, the good, bad and ugly. There were a lot of failures, so easy to see why someone who actually read the archives, like we encourage people to do, could be confused. While it’s very simple to get one up and going, it took me a lot of work to get the first one cycling and sounding where I was happy with it.

As a long time participant here, I read the original question and basically said here we go again. When actually, I think it was a legitimate question asked poorly. I stated in an earlier post I didn’t think rlandry would fall into the trap of having problems, because it was clear from his other posts, he’s reading and learning before he gets going. I still think that’s true. He did not come to the forum pretending to know it all like so many have. Arguing with the many years of collective knowledge, about how to make Trail Boss cycle an 85 grain bullet at 500 fps. He’s asked questions to stay out of trouble and make better decisions.

After watching this thread I’ll make a bold, possibly half insulting statement or two. The original question was probably made by someone with enough experience and knowledge, to ask a good question. Complicated by enough ignorance in either the cartridge, the AR rifle, and suppressors. This led to a good question being asked poorly.

Some of us (self included) took it the way we’ve seen it way too many times and included a certain amount of snark in our answers. Enough blame to go around.

Hopefully the original question has been answered, if not maybe a better way to put it has been rolling around and can be expressed today.

Sorry for my part in the snark fest.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

dellet wrote:What the OP posted is really a very good/bad question simply because he has no or little experience shooting a suppressed SBR with subsonic ammo.

I think that it’s really a two part question, if not three and some of us with more experience and less memory missed it.

Is it worth the hassle of getting one running?
My response was simply it’s not a hassle to get one running if it’s put together correctly.

Wrong answer.

How many of us after shooting the first round through out first suppressor were deeply disappointed in the noise the damn things make?

So the second part of the question is “how do you build an SBR, and a cartridge to make it worthwhile”. Luckily someone addressed that at one time.
viewtopic.php?t=98869

Myself and others have put a lot time and energy into figuring out what it takes to make the whole package work. Much of that was documented on this forum, the good, bad and ugly. There were a lot of failures, so easy to see why someone who actually read the archives, like we encourage people to do, could be confused. While it’s very simple to get one up and going, it took me a lot of work to get the first one cycling and sounding where I was happy with it.

As a long time participant here, I read the original question and basically said here we go again. When actually, I think it was a legitimate question asked poorly. I stated in an earlier post I didn’t think rlandry would fall into the trap of having problems, because it was clear from his other posts, he’s reading and learning before he gets going. I still think that’s true. He did not come to the forum pretending to know it all like so many have. Arguing with the many years of collective knowledge, about how to make Trail Boss cycle an 85 grain bullet at 500 fps. He’s asked questions to stay out of trouble and make better decisions.

After watching this thread I’ll make a bold, possibly half insulting statement or two. The original question was probably made by someone with enough experience and knowledge, to ask a good question. Complicated by enough ignorance in either the cartridge, the AR rifle, and suppressors. This led to a good question being asked poorly.

Some of us (self included) took it the way we’ve seen it way too many times and included a certain amount of snark in our answers. Enough blame to go around.

Hopefully the original question has been answered, if not maybe a better way to put it has been rolling around and can be expressed today.

Sorry for my part in the snark fest.
Thanks for your well thought out and written response. You are correct in that I asked the question looking for information and if I had spent more times reading the archives, I maybe would have been a little better prepared when I wrote my post, so my apologies to all for any turmoil my post may have raised.
I came to this forum assuming that I knew nothing about the AR platform and even after reading on here I still profess to know little. That's why I continue to ask what to you experienced guys appear to be trolling, but that is not the case at all. Even though I have no intention of building or shooting a sub-sonic platform, sometimes when you ask about something you know little about, the information given can in some way apply to making my goal a little easier and most of all safer for not only me, but the guy who happens to be next to me on the firing line. The caveat to that is ignorance of the subject often causes a question to be asked in an incorrect manner which leads to misinterpretations and misunderstandings.
I do have a limited background in loading for bolt guns, but my interest for many years has been mostly in handguns and loading for the hotter calibers, .44Mag, .45Colt, .454 Casull, etc., and when I read about people doing close to the same thing i'm doing but in a different way, my curiosity level spikes.

Anyway, apologies to where they are warranted and I hope I haven't caused anyone to not want to answer my questions because I'm going to have plenty of them.

Wishes for a good day to all..
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Well for what its worth, .44mag is still one of my favorite rounds. I have a Ruger vaquero 7 1/2" barrel in polished SS. Love the thing!

300blkout is a total difference in shooting compared to those calibers you mentioned. Youll have to do as you said and read through the forum.

Do you have an AR15 in any other caliber? Or are you looking for a bolt gun?
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

steven11b wrote:Well for what its worth, .44mag is still one of my favorite rounds. I have a Ruger vaquero 7 1/2" barrel in polished SS. Love the thing!

300blkout is a total difference in shooting compared to those calibers you mentioned. Youll have to do as you said and read through the forum.

Do you have an AR15 in any other caliber? Or are you looking for a bolt gun?
The .44Mag is my favorite and most versatile handgun round. It can be loaded across the power spectrum with excellent results. My next favorite is .45Colt which IMHO is just as versatile.

I have two ARs. one was a .20 Practical which I just replaced the barrel with a 5.56/223 SS Bull barrel, and replaced the handguard, gasblock, etc. and has a DPMS Lo-Pro thick walled upper and was machined along with the bolt carrier for a side charging handle. The 300 began life with a Spike's 22LR upper on a homebuilt lower so I built the upper from scratch. The 300 also has the DPMS Lo-Pro upper but but has not been machined . Neither have a FA or a dust cover.
I have a Rem 700 in .223 that after some experimentation with bullets and powders, shoots one ragged hole, so I'm somewhat familiar with loading that caliber.
I had a 700 in .243 that I sold because everything I read about the round indicated it was a barrel burner. Also had a 700 5R in .308 that was a great gun but my bum shoulder, even after adding weight to the stock and a recoil pad, just couldn't handle the recoil, so I reluctantly sold it off.

So, now I'm starting off with the Blackout and trying to get all the information I can on it. It looks like it's going to be a fun round to load and shoot.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel