Newbie from the West country england

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Newbie from the West country england

Post by dellet »

The running man wrote:
dellet wrote:
The running man wrote:This is all great info chaps thanks,yes I understand that the heavy bullets is for subsonic and the lightest for distance,.
Since your rifle does not rely on gas to cycle, you can shoot any bullet sub or super. The 30 Mauser pistol bullets are a lot of fun to shoot subsonic out to 100 yards.

Again for distance don’t sell the 150 grain bullets short. Depending on the bullet around 400 yards they will have less drop and drift then the 110/125’s. This runs against the normal thought.
Right got it,thanks for that, for now what bullets should I get for subsonic quiet loads? 220 soft tips?
What do you want to do with them?

Target, pest control, the Queen's stag?

You can literally use any 30 caliber bullet you want from 80-265 grains. For the first 100 yards they will all have 3-4" arc. Past 100 it will depend on the design of the bullet. With a 100 yard zero the best bullet will have a 3 foot drop at 200, the worst will have 3 1/2.

Are using a magazine? that would be the only limiting factor for feeding some bullets?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
The running man

Post by The running man »

dellet wrote:
The running man wrote:
dellet wrote:
Since your rifle does not rely on gas to cycle, you can shoot any bullet sub or super. The 30 Mauser pistol bullets are a lot of fun to shoot subsonic out to 100 yards.

Again for distance don’t sell the 150 grain bullets short. Depending on the bullet around 400 yards they will have less drop and drift then the 110/125’s. This runs against the normal thought.
Right got it,thanks for that, for now what bullets should I get for subsonic quiet loads? 220 soft tips?
What do you want to do with them?

Target, pest control, the Queen's stag?

You can literally use any 30 caliber bullet you want from 80-265 grains. For the first 100 yards they will all have 3-4" arc. Past 100 it will depend on the design of the bullet. With a 100 yard zero the best bullet will have a 3 foot drop at 200, the worst will have 3 1/2.

Are using a magazine? that would be the only limiting factor for feeding some bullets?
Hiya,yes just for fox within 100/150 yards....so ide like it as quiet as poss....the loads say a 220 is best..but I bow to opinion here first..
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The running man wrote:Hiya,yes just for fox within 100/150 yards....so ide like it as quiet as poss....the loads say a 220 is best..but I bow to opinion here first..
The heavy bullets for subs is based on making it easy for the semi-autos to cycle. They need the back pressure. For bolt action or single shot it does not matter. If you think more about your rifle in these terms when searching the site you will be better off.

Most of the 308 bullets are not designed to expand below 1800 fps. So a big heavy bullet, going slow is likely to just pass right through a small thin skinned animal like a fox. If that is a potential problem, choosing a bullet designed for the lower speeds is a good idea.

The lighter the bullet, the faster the powder, the less noise you will have. Trail Boss and a 110 grain or less bullet is truly air rifle quiet.

This might be good thread to look through

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=92768

Here is a much better way to search the site
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx ... tl9hapdoi0
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
The running man

dellet wrote:
The running man wrote:Hiya,yes just for fox within 100/150 yards....so ide like it as quiet as poss....the loads say a 220 is best..but I bow to opinion here first..
The heavy bullets for subs is based on making it easy for the semi-autos to cycle. They need the back pressure. For bolt action or single shot it does not matter. If you think more about your rifle in these terms when searching the site you will be better off.

Most of the 308 bullets are not designed to expand below 1800 fps. So a big heavy bullet, going slow is likely to just pass right through a small thin skinned animal like a fox. If that is a potential problem, choosing a bullet designed for the lower speeds is a good idea.

The lighter the bullet, the faster the powder, the less noise you will have. Trail Boss and a 110 grain or less bullet is truly air rifle quiet.

This might be good thread to look through

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=92768

Here is a much better way to search the site
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx ... tl9hapdoi0
thank you very much for that,oooooo learning lots here!
Scirroco

Post by Scirroco »

Bi running man,like you im in the uk,
For foxing loads i like hornady 90g xtp (309) diameter,lapua brass ,fed 205m primer, 4.6g trail boss runs 1020 fps
Very accurate and it will penetrate a fox ened to end on a frontal chest shot,stupid quiet..i also use the 200g lapua subsonic head very accurate
Rgds steve
jlwilliams
Silent Operator

Post by jlwilliams »

I like the Speer 100gr half jacketed "plinker" bullet for just the sort of shooting you are describing.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Gidday from New Zealand. The same ones who constantly thrash your rugby team.

About this straight pull.
They re a dodge around your semi auto laws am I right?
So your allowed all the features of an AR? Magazine restriction?
The running man

Ok, ive finally got the gun, will put some pix up as soon as poss, its a straight pull so no gas port, 305mm long barrell with a 1 in 7 twist.. With that in mind i should love some advice on a subsonic round for fox and a 200 yard target load...
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

Get some Viht N-105 and a good 200 grain plus bullet like the sierra 220 matchking or 208 hornady ELD.
7.1 to 7.5 grains should work well.
You want t keep your ES a low as possible for 200 yard targets.
The lapua 200 grain sub-sonic bullet would be good also but is expensive over here.
The running man

Ive got some 165 sierra game king, after a bit of searching ive found that 16.6 gns of reloader 7 gives you about 1600 fps.. So ive loaded 20 of those and 20 with 6 gns of unique, ile try them at. Y 50m range in the morning...