2018 shooting challenge

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Re: 2018 shooting challenge

Post by Walkers Bay »

What's the metric equivalent of a dime.
I haven't been on here in ages but have had success lately grouping mine at 400 meters on steel.
It's MOD groups but I'll take it.
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Post by ozleux »

Walkers Bay wrote:What's the metric equivalent of a dime.
I haven't been on here in ages but have had success lately grouping mine at 400 meters on steel.
It's MOD groups but I'll take it.
1.7907 cm dia. or .705 inches. Best of luck. I'll give it a try as soon as it gets above freezing :mrgreen:
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Walkers Bay wrote:What's the metric equivalent of a dime.
10 cents. :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

So, since we have folks counting official entries, here is my 300 BLK entry. I was anxious to see what the CZ 527 was capable of. I was also worried about dime recovery after Swamps silicone experience. I used mounting tape, coroplas and mounted the dimes last night in the warm house. I leaned the coroplas on a crappy cherry tree I intend to turn into firewood, 100 yards away here on my land. This was load development as well as a contest entry so I apologize for so many hits on target.
It went as such, two shots with a 125 smk home load for my ARs. 3 shots with a 125 sst home load to see what it would do, again loaded for the AR's. Now I had 5 pieces of fire formed brass. Loaded and shot a while until I got 3 in one hole. Adjusted scope and went for it.
Tik marks are me adjusting scope. It was set for subs :roll:
And the dime. Since I think Franklin was the father of the modern Libtard movement, I chose to take the top of his head :lol:
It was 20 degrees here and my fingers went numb shooting. I'll post an open entry as soon as I can.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Oh damn.....forgot.
Fireformed Hornady brass.
Sierra 2121 smk 125 gr.
18 gr of W296
CBTO- 1.465
cci 450
Neck sized only.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Nice shot rebel, ill get a 300blk entry shortly.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Ok, something a bit different for an open entry. I wanted a challenge so I decided to orient the dime a different way and try at 100 yards.Image
I set up some spotters, only had 5 of the VLD load. Shot a spotter, made an adjustment went for the dime. Hit close, like right next to it. Went for the spotter again and went almost one hole. Back to the dime. I got a good hit and saw the huge hole where the dime pushed through. Image
Could not recover that dime for anything. I set 2 more dimes in a piece of 1.5 inch archery target foam. I put white paper around them so they would be more visible. I had one more VLD left. I fired it and it looked good. I went to look for that one with no dice.
I had 20 hunting loads with a 103 eldx. I shot at the other dime , then would go to a sighter dot ( I marked a dot with a sharpie ) and fire , move over and shoot at the dime. The best I could do was nick that one.
It had started to sleet a bit so I decided to call it. On the walk back to the house I began digging around the exit channel in the foam.
Something felt sharp and my my....I pulled this out.
So my official open class entry -
6mm Norma BR
105 Berger VLDH
29.7 gr. of Varget
Edge of dime at 100 yards :mrgreen:
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote:Ok, something a bit different for an open entry. I wanted a challenge so I decided to orient the dime a different way and try at 100 yards.Image
I set up some spotters, only had 5 of the VLD load. Shot a spotter, made an adjustment went for the dime. Hit close, like right next to it. Went for the spotter again and went almost one hole. Back to the dime. I got a good hit and saw the huge hole where the dime pushed through. Image
Could not recover that dime for anything. I set 2 more dimes in a piece of 1.5 inch archery target foam. I put white paper around them so they would be more visible. I had one more VLD left. I fired it and it looked good. I went to look for that one with no dice.
I had 20 hunting loads with a 103 eldx. I shot at the other dime , then would go to a sighter dot ( I marked a dot with a sharpie ) and fire , move over and shoot at the dime. The best I could do was nick that one.
It had started to sleet a bit so I decided to call it. On the walk back to the house I began digging around the exit channel in the foam.
Something felt sharp and my my....I pulled this out.
So my official open class entry -
6mm Norma BR
105 Berger VLDH
29.7 gr. of Varget
Edge of dime at 100 yards :mrgreen:
So are you saying that if I want to shoot dimes, the ELD X is a poor choice because it only bends them? :x
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I have no idea what it does because I didn't recover the one I seemed to have hit clean.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Customer just had a great idea. Drill a small hole in a dime, Use picture hanging wire and fasten that to a wood target backer. That should save some the trouble of flying dime recovery.