It’s that time in life where I say “WHAT” a lot

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

It’s that time in life where I say “WHAT” a lot

Post by hardcase »

I have been looking at etymotic ear plugs. Hearing protection has come a long way. I need to get something besides throw away plugs from the drug store. Could a middle of the road set be had for$150?
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Re: It’s that time in life where I say “WHAT” a lot

Post by Walkers Bay »

hardcase wrote:I have been looking at etymotic ear plugs. Hearing protection has come a long way. I need to get something besides throw away plugs from the drug store. Could a middle of the road set be had for$150?
I use have a couple of sets of Howard leight earmuffs. They do me just fine for hunting and range work.
I wear fitted variphones at work and they're good for hearing and shut down with progressive noise.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

# 1 on the Howard Leight electronic ear muffs. before I got my hearing aids, I was using them while hunting so I could hear game better. of course they worked at the range great too. I could hear people talking but gun shots were effectively muffled. they were very in-expensive too. when Hurricane Irma flooded my truck the electronic part got ruined but they still work like non-electronic ear muffs. next time I see them on sale, I will buy another pair.
peace through superior firepower
Caveman Jim

Post by Caveman Jim »

blaster wrote:# 1 on the Howard Leight electronic ear muffs. before I got my hearing aids, I was using them while hunting so I could hear game better. of course they worked at the range great too. I could hear people talking but gun shots were effectively muffled. they were very in-expensive too. when Hurricane Irma flooded my truck the electronic part got ruined but they still work like non-electronic ear muffs. next time I see them on sale, I will buy another pair.
I lost my hearing, 80% in the left ear & 60% in the right back in 1995. I had severe hearing loss but loud noises also hurt my deaf ears due to fluid buildup in the inner ear.
I was an avid BG & waterfowl hunter back then but had to use hearing protection.
I desperately wanted protection & amplification to help detect the sounds that i hnew would make me successful again.
I bought my first pair of Peltor 6 HP and they lasted 2 waterfowl seasons due to the PNW inclement weather. The 2nd pair lasted 3 season's and am looking for another brand that may last a bit longer (I removed the batteries after every outing).

So I am subscribed to this thread.
Life member NRA
You are either with us as Americans Or You are against us There is no IN BETWEEN
We cannot negotiate with those who say, What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable JFK
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Caveman Jim wrote:
blaster wrote:# 1 on the Howard Leight electronic ear muffs. before I got my hearing aids, I was using them while hunting so I could hear game better. of course they worked at the range great too. I could hear people talking but gun shots were effectively muffled. they were very in-expensive too. when Hurricane Irma flooded my truck the electronic part got ruined but they still work like non-electronic ear muffs. next time I see them on sale, I will buy another pair.
I lost my hearing, 80% in the left ear & 60% in the right back in 1995. I had severe hearing loss but loud noises also hurt my deaf ears due to fluid buildup in the inner ear.
I was an avid BG & waterfowl hunter back then but had to use hearing protection.
I desperately wanted protection & amplification to help detect the sounds that i hnew would make me successful again.
I bought my first pair of Peltor 6 HP and they lasted 2 waterfowl seasons due to the PNW inclement weather. The 2nd pair lasted 3 season's and am looking for another brand that may last a bit longer (I removed the batteries after every outing).

So I am subscribed to this thread.
My Howard's have been miss treated for nearly 7 years and been soaked more times than I care to remember. I've drowned them once or twice now but they survive.
blackbird

Post by blackbird »

Walker sells a decent electronic ear muff. You can get them on Amazon for around $35-$40. I usually double up with in ear protection and then turn up the volume on the Walkers. I can still hear conversations really well, even with the plugs.
"Less isn't always more but, sometimes, it is enough."

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you'll ultimately find that you have paid for it and don't have it."
Caveman Jim

Post by Caveman Jim »

I know what I'm getting for Christmas..... :lol:
Life member NRA
You are either with us as Americans Or You are against us There is no IN BETWEEN
We cannot negotiate with those who say, What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable JFK
thresk

Post by thresk »

As other have said it's hard to beat those Howard Leight Impact Pros, from what I hear (heh) you have to spend around $500+ to get electronic plugs that work as well.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I just got an e-mail ad from Widners. they have Howard Leight muffs on sale for $39.95
peace through superior firepower