Trunk gun ballistics and OAL questions

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

packeagle

Trunk gun ballistics and OAL questions

Post by packeagle »

I'm looking to build a 300 AAC Blackout AR pistol and eventually SBR. I was pushed to the 300 because of its performance out of the shorter barrel I need to be legal in Michigan. I need my Pistol and eventually SBR to be < 26" OAL with the Brace/Stock collapsed. This puts me into the 8-9" barrel range (if my figuring is correct) to be on the safe side. That being said, my goal with this build is to legally have a rifle caliber pistol in my trunk for a "get home/ active shooter" type kit. Subsonics seem the be the cool factor with 300 Blackout, but there are haters who say its has the energy of a .45. I'm interested in Supersonic 300 Blackout. Will I get the "rifle performance" I'm after out of something like say the Barnes 110 VOR-TX in the 9" barrel? Can you point me to some resources?

Stolen pic for attention and an idea of what looking to do:
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Trunk gun ballistics and OAL questions

Post by plant.one »

with a standard pistol buffer tube, a 9" barrel leaves you plenty of room to stay under 26". with a carefully chosen flash hider, you could easily go 9½ or maybe even 10" - but that would be cutting it real close. with 9" you've got lots of options to you.

and the caliber performs quite well on a 9" barrel :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

And throw on a Law Tactical folding stock kit and you can get a collapsed length of 17 with an 8 inch barrel and still be under your 26 inch length with the stock in shooting condition. Makes for a very short package for fitting into tool kits, backpacks, etc.

And yes, as plant said, the supers will perform well still.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

My 300blk SBR is a 9” AAC gun. Im VERY happy with the ballistics with 110gn blacktips. I have almost given up on subs thru this gun.

Im not a hater, but a 220gn bullet at 950fps IS about 45acp energy. True they are QUIET thru a good can, but short of Zombies or sentry takedowns, that level of quiet is just for fun.

If i want ultimate quiet, i’ll shoot my 700 bolt gun.
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

No real point in subs without a suppressor. With one they are great for around the house. Ie they won't mess up your hearing. You can load a couple subs in the top of your mag for use in the house. Then have the rest of the mag full of hot super sonic stuff. Post some pics of your truck gun when you get it done!

R
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Sharkbite wrote:My 300blk SBR is a 9” AAC gun. Im VERY happy with the ballistics with 110gn blacktips. I have almost given up on subs thru this gun.

Im not a hater, but a 220gn bullet at 950fps IS about 45acp energy. True they are QUIET thru a good can, but short of Zombies or sentry takedowns, that level of quiet is just for fun.

a 45 ACP doesnt do this when they hit stuff though.

when you go for slow and heavy, and want spectacular terminal results - you just gotta pick the right bullet. 8) 8) :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

plant.one wrote:
Sharkbite wrote:My 300blk SBR is a 9” AAC gun. Im VERY happy with the ballistics with 110gn blacktips. I have almost given up on subs thru this gun.

a 45 ACP doesnt do this when they hit stuff though.

when you go for slow and heavy, and want spectacular terminal results - you just gotta pick the right bullet. 8) 8) :mrgreen:

I totally agree. The problem is most guys are not going to drop the coin on premium bullets like the one pictured. They will walk into Cabelas and grab something off the shelf that say “subsonic”. It is most likely loaded with a 220gn SMK. That will NOT expand at all
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Sharkbite wrote:

I totally agree. The problem is most guys are not going to drop the coin on premium bullets like the one pictured. They will walk into Cabelas and grab something off the shelf that say “subsonic”. It is most likely loaded with a 220gn SMK. That will NOT expand at all

i cant argue with that one bit - try as we might, you just cant fix stupid human tricks.

poor ammo selection is just a classic example of user error - which has no bearing on the actual capabilities of the firearm/caliber/cartridge and the proper application of subsonics.

just like most things in life, if you want to be successful - picking the right tool for the job is going to be a key part of your path to said success. 8)