Ejection pattern is 1:00 o'clock way over gassed?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

GregP42
Silent Operator

Ejection pattern is 1:00 o'clock way over gassed?

Post by GregP42 »

So, I put a new noname barrel on my rifle, 16" with pistol gas, M16 BCG, A2 style buffer and extra power spring. Load is 110gr Nosler, 22.5gr CFEBlk, 2.130 OAL. It does not have any sort of flash suppressor or muzzle brake on it yet. I shot some factory 220gr and they all went to 4:00-4:30 position, factory 110gr Hornady went to about 3:00 o'clock. I do not have an ajustable block on this rifle, what other suggestions do you guys have?

Greg
NRA Life member
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ejection pattern is 1:00 o'clock way over gassed?

Post by 20X11 »

GregP42 wrote:So, I put a new noname barrel on my rifle, 16" with pistol gas, M16 BCG, A2 style buffer and extra power spring. Load is 110gr Nosler, 22.5gr CFEBlk, 2.130 OAL. It does not have any sort of flash suppressor or muzzle brake on it yet. I shot some factory 220gr and they all went to 4:00-4:30 position, factory 110gr Hornady went to about 3:00 o'clock. I do not have an ajustable block on this rifle, what other suggestions do you guys have?

Greg
With pistol gas, you may need to use an H2 buffer for the extra weight. 300BLK reacts differently with the deflector than 223/5.56 due to the shortened case length. The case rim hitting the deflector may cause it to land at the 1 o'clock position. Check for semi-circle dimples on your deflector.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It's very easy to over gas a 16" pistol system, and CFE produces a lot of it, but at a low pressure. Depending on the size of the port, over gassing is certainly possible.

Buffer as mentioned, is an easy try.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

A small piece of velcro on the case deflector can help prevent dented brass after you get the gas issue solved. I get the velcro that already has the sticky on it.
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

So they make a H2 buffer for a rifle buffer system? I will look for one. I looked at the brass and there is a dent in the middle of the case on the ones that went to 1 o'clock position, the others that sent to the normal areas have dented mouths as I normally see.
NRA Life member
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

They do not make a heavier rifle buffer. And I assume if you're using a full size rifle stock that you're also using a full size rifle buffer.

If you are, and from your earlier description sounds like it, you may need to use a heavier spring.

I recommend the Tubbs/Superior Shooting Flat Coil/Chrome silicone spring.

http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-tubb-part ... fferspring

It doesn't particularly sound very over-gassed though.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

John A. wrote:They do not make a heavier rifle buffer. And I assume if you're using a full size rifle stock that you're also using a full size rifle buffer.

If you are, and from your earlier description sounds like it, you may need to use a heavier spring.

I recommend the Tubbs/Superior Shooting Flat Coil/Chrome silicone spring.

http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-tubb-part ... fferspring

It doesn't particularly sound very over-gassed though.
Is the Tubbs spring heavier than the Wolf Extra Power spring? Yes this is a rifle stock, A2 length running the ACE tube stock.
It is just when they go to 1 o'clock they land about 2 - 3 feet in front of me.

Thanks for the help guys,

Greg
NRA Life member
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I'm pretty sure they are.

And being a flat coil instead of round, feels different (better) too.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

As dumb as it sounds, before I spent any money, I would change the load.

CFE is a different powder. High gas volume, low pressure.

It those are the Nosler 110 Varmegeddon, your loaded pretty long, with a low end powder charge. That will be even lower pressure.

You already have a spring that is extra power, and a buffer that is heavier than normal.

All this points to the load being under powered, not over. Yet the brass is landing forward. Since the case is shorter than what the ejection system was designed for, the brass will exit sooner. Possibly messing up the standard pattern. This is a guess.

Personally I would load five rounds with 1/2 grain more and also less. Then see which one improves the pattern. You will not have a pressure problem. But I would shot the lower charge first. I actually would not be surprised if it short stroked.

If there was a load I would expect a problem with, it would be the factory Hornady. They have been known to be a little hot.

If you are using a different bullet than the Varmageddon, I might change that thinking.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

One other thing to try.

Size a case, drop it in the barrel, close the bolt, cycle slowly by hand. Pick up speed until the case ejects instead of just falling off. It's quite possible the case will go forward, before it has enough speed to come off the bolt at the rear of the carrier travel.