Put Everything in the NFA

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Put Everything in the NFA

Post by ProdigalSun »

The Nevada shooting got me thinking about ways to stop the next one. A buddy and I were watching the news, and head this guy say that the NFA has been the most effective piece of legislation to date.

I had to agree. Begrudgingly.

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I follow the Constitution. Anything that contradicts it is illegal, and those responsible should be dealt with according to existing laws. That said, if we do have to have unconstitutional laws, then I have to agree with the liberals who want common sense gun legislation, provided that it works.

We know that NFA weapons aren't used in crimes (except by a cop once) , and those who hold stamps are the most law abiding of us all. Therefore, why not require all weapons to be registered with the NFA?

Only real differences I would make are these. Firstly, theres no point in doing a background check on an item. Do the background check on the individual. duh. Secondly, the wait is unacceptable. A person has the presumption of innocence, so the item should be procured by the individual at point of sale, then added to his/her account in the NFA registry as a shall issue item. The burden is on the ATF then to deny the right, only if there is cause to do so.

It would work this way...
Fill out ATF Form X to register you in the system. All legal gun owners would have to, in order to possess. A Photo ID would be issued to you similar to a CCW, CPL, CWP whatever you call it in your state. Go to the gun store in person or online, pick out your can, M-16, 9mm beretta, whatever, and take it to the clerk. Present your ID, which proves you have been background checked, and cleared as a non prohibited person. Pay for your items, and leave with them.

What say ye?
NFA Not F**king American

It would be less disrespectful to burn the flag than to put a thin blue line through the middle of it.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Re: Put Everything in the NFA

Post by Dr.Phil »

Nice sentiment, but since you said, "I follow the Constitution", that is wholly impossible.
The 2nd amendment is not a privilege, it is a very critical "right".

Please read this:
viewtopic.php?f=149&t=101205
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
emmagee1917
Senior Silent Operator

Post by emmagee1917 »

Well , first off right out of the gate , in '86 , with a perfect record of over 50 years of zero crime commission , what did the government do to machineguns ?

If one cannot learn from that , well , what can I say ?

Second , I think a " gun card " is a great idea . You apply for one and get approved . You must be found guilty of a crime by a jury that makes you ineligible to own a weapon to have it revoked .It allows you to buy anything and as much as you want . No records are kept . If you have a gun and no card - major crime with long jail sentence . NRA proposed this in the '60s . The scuba diver's " air card " was the inspiration . The government was not interested . It would reduce crime , and that was not their goal , then nor now .
Chris
ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

Dr.Phil wrote:Nice sentiment, but since you said, "I follow the Constitution", that is wholly impossible.
The 2nd amendment is not a privilege, it is a very critical "right".

Please read this:
viewtopic.php?f=149&t=101205

I agree that it is a right, and have even been banned from gun forums for insisting upon it too loudly.
NFA Not F**king American

It would be less disrespectful to burn the flag than to put a thin blue line through the middle of it.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

What your proposal would create would be defacto gun registration that has historically proven to be the precursor to confiscation. A 'firearm purchasers card' that proves I am constitutionally able to purchase and possess any gun (NFA or non-NFA) that I want with zero extra paperwork or tracking, I could get behind. Any system that ties me to specific firearms and tracks future transfers, I could not and would not support.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

ProdigalSun wrote:The Nevada shooting got me thinking about ways to stop the next one. A buddy and I were watching the news, and head this guy say that the NFA has been the most effective piece of legislation to date.

I had to agree. Begrudgingly.

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I follow the Constitution. Anything that contradicts it is illegal, and those responsible should be dealt with according to existing laws. That said, if we do have to have unconstitutional laws, then I have to agree with the liberals who want common sense gun legislation, provided that it works.

We know that NFA weapons aren't used in crimes (except by a cop once) , and those who hold stamps are the most law abiding of us all. Therefore, why not require all weapons to be registered with the NFA?

Only real differences I would make are these. Firstly, theres no point in doing a background check on an item. Do the background check on the individual. duh. Secondly, the wait is unacceptable. A person has the presumption of innocence, so the item should be procured by the individual at point of sale, then added to his/her account in the NFA registry as a shall issue item. The burden is on the ATF then to deny the right, only if there is cause to do so.

It would work this way...
Fill out ATF Form X to register you in the system. All legal gun owners would have to, in order to possess. A Photo ID would be issued to you similar to a CCW, CPL, CWP whatever you call it in your state. Go to the gun store in person or online, pick out your can, M-16, 9mm beretta, whatever, and take it to the clerk. Present your ID, which proves you have been background checked, and cleared as a non prohibited person. Pay for your items, and leave with them.

What say ye?
After a very long absence, you come back with some bull crap like this. Even your tag line disputes the your highlighted comments. The NFA is a restriction of my rights given by the 2A. You are stating that all good guys need to have their weapons registered and bad guys don't need to. Do a little history search and see how that turned out for citizens of Russia, Germany and Venezuela.

If this is what you have to offer the forum, please go away again (and take your friend) and forget this site.
ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

But if you have a tax stamp and or CCW, you are not only supporting, but are a "member". Im not guiltless here, as I have them as well.

Registration does lead to confiscation historically, I cannot deny this. It was my first thought and argument against my own proposal.

Such confiscation efforts would quickly be met with a militia response that would devastate those attempting the confiscation, so Im not overly concerned about that one. By the numbers, we have so many more people....it would be foolish. There just arent enough people in the police and military combined to fight off even the licenced hunters in the nation. We would crush them. We also have the food, meds, and make the ammo and parts they need to fight us.
NFA Not F**king American

smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

emmagee1917 wrote:Well , first off right out of the gate , in '86 , with a perfect record of over 50 years of zero crime commission , what did the government do to machineguns ?

Second , I think a " gun card " is a great idea . You apply for one and get approved . You must be found guilty of a crime by a jury that makes you ineligible to own a weapon to have it revoked .It allows you to buy anything and as much as you want . No records are kept . If you have a gun and no card - major crime with long jail sentence . NRA proposed this in the '60s . The scuba diver's " air card " was the inspiration . The government was not interested . It would reduce crime , and that was not their goal , then nor now .
Chris
If you believe that your head is in the sand. Notice with the Las Vegas shooter that they VERY QUICKLY tracked EVERY gun purchase he had made for the last 10 years in multiple states. You are constantly being watched and "registered" every time you purchase a weapon through a FFL.
ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

What would stop these types of shootings? Thats my point here. Save lives, and make some laws that would be effective, and prevent the libs from making any more laws.

You saw what one guy can do with a semi auto AR and a couple mods. Imagine what would happen to a foreign or domestic force trying to take our freedoms.
NFA Not F**king American

ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

smustian wrote:
emmagee1917 wrote:Well , first off right out of the gate , in '86 , with a perfect record of over 50 years of zero crime commission , what did the government do to machineguns ?

Chris
If you believe that your head is in the sand. Notice with the Las Vegas shooter that they VERY QUICKLY tracked EVERY gun purchase he had made for the last 10 years in multiple states. You are constantly being watched and "registered" every time you purchase a weapon through a FFL.
Thats the truth
NFA Not F**king American