Shockwave brace on PSA buffer tube

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

blackbird

Shockwave brace on PSA buffer tube

Post by blackbird »

Hey everyone, wanted to post about an issue I've been having and see if I could find a solution. I bought a PSA complete pistol lower (with the non-fluted tube) and shot it for about a month with just the tube from the cheek. I'm 6'2" so it felt kind of crunched up with the buffer tube against my cheek so I thought I could get a Shockwave blade and extend it for more comfort. I had heard about people dimpling their tubes with a drill press so I tried my hand at it. I guess I drilled the dimple too shallow as putting about 5 rounds through it caused it to shift forward...creating a "<" up the dimple as it went. I figured I didn't tighten it down enough, so I put a little more "persuasion" on it along with some blue loctite (allowed 24 hours to dry). Put 3 more rounds through it tonight...same story...it may have been incidentally fired from the shoulder, I can't really remember, what with it being incidental and all. So, I removed the blade and went back to the drill press. I went a good bit deeper, but was afraid of drilling through the tube. When installing it back on, I put a few pieces of electrical tape on the top of the tube to reduce any movement and tightened the screw down about as tight as I could without splitting the blade. Without shooting it yet, does anyone have any suggestions? Could anybody with an actual KAK tube with dimples give me round about measurements of the diameter around and "deepness" of the dimple?
"Less isn't always more but, sometimes, it is enough."

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you'll ultimately find that you have paid for it and don't have it."
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Shockwave brace on PSA buffer tube

Post by John A. »

My suggestion, don't incidentally shoot it while it's against your shoulder and I doubt it'll move.

ATF has actually said to avoid possible penalties, to not have it extended more than 13.5 inches length of pull from the trigger face or something along those lines.

They're not really designed or intended to incidentally touch anything besides the side of your arm just in front of your elbow joint.

Also, ATF doesn't like Loctite or other means of affixing the brace.

http://shwat.com/atf-changes-mind-again ... he-closet/

If you want to incidentally let it contact your shoulder when you shoot, this is the link you need to follow: https://www.atf.gov/file/11281/download
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
blackbird

Post by blackbird »

John A. wrote:My suggestion, don't incidentally shoot it while it's against your shoulder and I doubt it'll move.

ATF has actually said to avoid possible penalties, to not have it extended more than 13.5 inches length of pull from the trigger face or something along those lines.

They're not really designed or intended to incidentally touch anything besides the side of your arm just in front of your elbow joint.

Also, ATF doesn't like Loctite or other means of affixing the brace.

http://shwat.com/atf-changes-mind-again ... he-closet/

If you want to incidentally let it contact your shoulder when you shoot, this is the link you need to follow: https://www.atf.gov/file/11281/download
That may end up being what I do, however, throwing a measuring tape at the trigger face, I'm right at 12.5". The loctite rule (which I had already heard about) is specifically speaking against RED loctite. Blue is still considered temporary, which I believe Marty from Shochwave Technologies asked the ATF about.

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you'll ultimately find that you have paid for it and don't have it."
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

Don't mess with or customize any pistol brace. I also tried using a normal pistol buffer tube. It worked until I got a stuck case "hand load" and mortared my ar pistol. Put a big scrape in the buffer tube. Just buy the KAK matching buffer tube. "It works" because it is anodized after the dimpling is done. So it's way harder/more durable than bare alloy. Also you "CAN" (as I understand/have read) use lock tight on the blade set screw. It "must be blue" though. So it's not a permanent modification. Also make sure to run a strap on your blade pistol brace. Have fun!

R
blackbird

Post by blackbird »

RAINS wrote:Don't mess with or customize any pistol brace. I also tried using a normal pistol buffer tube. It worked until I got a stuck case "hand load" and mortared my ar pistol. Put a big scrape in the buffer tube. Just buy the KAK matching buffer tube. "It works" because it is anodized after the dimpling is done. So it's way harder/more durable than bare alloy. Also you "CAN" (as I understand/have read) use lock tight on the blade set screw. It "must be blue" though. So it's not a permanent modification. Also make sure to run a strap on your blade pistol brace. Have fun!

R
That does make sense. I ended up putting a piece of electrical tape (which as far as I know is legal as it doesn't permanently attach the blade) on top of the tube and made my divot just a little deeper. So far it's held up pretty well with being bumped around the truck on the way to the range. I liked the PSA tube as it was made from 7075 aluminum instead of 6061 like the KAK. I tend to be anal about those things, and I doubt it will make any real world difference as plenty of commercial tubes have been mortared with no problems. I'll try it for awhile, and if there ends up being any issues, I've got a Phase 5 foam cover on standby. Thanks for the comment!

cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

Full disclosure, I don't own a pistol brace, BUT...

“[the ATF] have determined that firing a pistol from the shoulder would not cause the pistol to be reclassified as an SBR”

Supposedly the ATF/FTB are classifying by physical design properties and not how it is used.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/gun-culture/ ... tol-brace/
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

for now, which is a reversal of a decision they already reversed.

this could turn into a tennis match before much longer. :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Caveman Jim

Post by Caveman Jim »

I agree, you can't trust a Fed or anyone who works for the GOV....
Life member NRA
You are either with us as Americans Or You are against us There is no IN BETWEEN
We cannot negotiate with those who say, What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable JFK