Better accuracy from homemade converted LC brass using Lee collet die.

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Re: Better accuracy from homemade converted LC brass using Lee collet die.

Post by Bob the nailer »

My collet die arrived today!!!!!
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

TreeTopFlier wrote:I had a chance do a little more testing. This was the end of the day, last round of fire. I forgot and left the targets as I was cleaning up but I did snap a pic of the two targets so sorry for the poorly laid out shots.

So two targets 100yds, everything was identical. Fresh made LC brass. H110 18.2 gr (trickled up) 125 SMK at 2.100" CCI 41. I was shooting with a bipod.

Without a collet die
(target grid is 15/16")
Name: Blk 18.2 Mk
Shots: 5
Average: 2290 FPS
SD: 15 FPS
Min: 2271 FPS
Max: 2314 FPS
Spread: 43 FPS
Barometric Pressure: 30
Temperature: 56

With a collet die
Name: Blk 18.2 Mk Collet
Shots: 5
Average: 2282 FPS
SD: 15 FPS
Min: 2267 FPS
Max: 2310 FPS
Spread: 43 FPS
Barometric Pressure: 30
Temperature: 56

Re-quoted to add in the shot velocity data for each group. These two groups were really similar in velocity and consistency.
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
docdom

Post by docdom »

So I have not used a collet die but I convert all my LC 5.56 to 300blk brass as follows and have been doing so for a long time. The accuracy Im getting is insane. Runout measured on my 21st Century concentricity gauge is 0.0005-0.001 All testing at 100yds non-suppressed.

Dillon XL650 - Case Prep Toolhead

1. Universal depriming die in Station 1
2. Dillon RT1500 Case Trimmer with Dillon Trim die in Station 4 set to trim and bump shoulder back .003"
3. 21st Century TiN expander mandrel in Station 5 setting .002" neck tension

Dillon XL650 - Loading Toolhead

1. Universal deprimming die in Station 1 (to knock any corn cob out of flash hole)
2. Prime with CCI 450 and drop 18.6g H110
3. Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die in Station 4

My Load
1xLC converted to 300blk
18.6g H110
CCI 450
125 TMK
1.5110" Base to Ogive (0.02" off Lands)
2100fps
I can also use the 125smk with this same load which is just as accurate

10.5" Rainier Ultramatch (Shilen) barrel Pistol Gas
FailZero Exo BCG
AeroPrecision Upper
Aero Precision SBR Lower Receiver
Geissele SD3G
Daniel Defense 9" MFR MLOK
Rugged Suppressors 3 Port QD mount/brake
Rugged Surge 7.62 (K config)
SLR Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block
Spikes Heavy Buffer
Magpul CTR
ADM AD-Recon QD Mount
Leupold 1.5-5x20 MR/T CM-R2

I used a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 EBR-2C for load development and to shoot the below target

After finding my load and doing a seating depth test I shot this below target at 100yds with a Harris bipod and rear bag from the bench. 7 groups of 5 shots each. This is one of my favorite guns. I built this gun as a test to prove my friends wrong that 300blk can be very accurate which they all told me was not possible. 1.25-1.5moa at 100yds was what I was told 300blk was capable of and it was just a fun gun. I have to say, I went through 2 barrels before trying one last time with this Ultramatch which was a winner. I have walked this gun/load out to 500yds on steel many times going 5 for 5 on every piece of steel at 200, 300, 400 and 500 after building a dope card.

A friend and I also did a non scientific expansion test with this load. We loaded up 5 each of the 125 SMK and 125 TMK. We shot them through wet phone books that had denim on the front with water jugs behind. We recovered them and the results were amazing. The 125 SMK bend like a banana and did not expand or deform at all. The 125 TMK expanded beautifully like a Federal HST pistol round. I guess thats why Black Hills uses the 125 TMK in their 300blk defensive ammo.

125 TMK H110 Load Development OCW Test

7x5 Load Confirmation Test
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Just a little off topic but since we are talking about better accuracy with brass prep. This article talks about insane .032" groups shot in a wharehouse, pay special attention to the closing statement regarding shrinking groups with brass prep!

http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

DocDom

I envy your setup. Mostly the reloading setup. Short of having auto bullet feeder, and primer pocket swaging on press, that is close as I could want to perfection.

Do shavings cause problems, or is the shop vac setup adequate for that?
docdom

Post by docdom »

I love my XL650. Actually just about to grab a second one for dedicated pistol loading. Will use my current one for brass prep and 300blk and 223 loading.

I bought the Oreck Commercial XL Pro 5 Super Compact vacuum for my Dillon trimmer. Sits on a shelf above the trimmer when Im trimming brass. Has a very strong vacuum so I dont have a single brass shaving issue at all. Run it without the vacuum and yea, shavings everywhere and you will jamb up your press eventually. I dont process brass often. I do large sessions over the winter of LC 5.56, 300blk, LC 7.62 and Hornady 6.5cm. I fill up large plastic bins with ready to load brass in each caliber so I dont usually have to process brass during the shooting season.

Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Not getting how to attach photos so I'll explain the group until I post the pictures.

I have had several range sessions with groups in the 5/8" with a flyer then another 5/8" on another day. only once shot a two shot bug hole with the third as a flyer. My point is I struggled to tighten up the groups, my load is 10.8grns of CFE BLK with a C.O.L. of 2.090" no special treatment just load the mag and slam the bolt close. I bought into the idea of using the Lee collet die after a F.L. resize and made up 10 rounds of the pet load. I did modify the Lee seater die stem to engage the ogive of the Rainier wedge 180 grain bullet as before it would kiss the tapered bullet side producing various final C.O.L. The stem adjustments gave me a C.O.L. variance of only .002"

Today I slipped out to the range early to test the collet die treatment. I loaded up five rounds and put a nickle size dot out at 50 yards for the subsonic wedge loads. I was able to put the first four rounds in a ragged hole with the fifth shot opening the group to just under 5/8". I then shot other supersonic loads for testing then right back to five more subs at the original aiming point, the second group of three measured at 1/2" with shot three and four being flyers making the group 1" with end results of the group being seven shots inside the nickle and three just outside that. I really believe the collet die gave me consistent P.O.I. with this load and once I have more loads ready I will push it out to 100 yards to test consistency. An interesting note is that all this group shooting is being done with an ATN X-sight II HD 3-14x50 digital scope (not benchrest grade glass at all)

Lake City converted brass
necks turned to .012"
flash hole debured
annealed
CCI 400
CFE BLK 10.8 grns
Rainer Wedge 180 grain
950 fps
Lee collet die after F.L. resize
C.O.L. 2.090"
16" pistol gassed, 1-8 twist

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com
docdom

Post by docdom »

Bob the nailer wrote:Not getting how to attach photos so I'll explain the group until I post the pictures.
Create a free account with an image hosting site like Imgur https://imgur.com/

You then upload your photos to your Imgur acct and then click on the photo and copy the BBcode and paste it into your post on this or any other forum...See below screenshot on where you are supposed to click after uploading your photo to Imgur

Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Rainier wedge 180 grain load with Lee F.L. die and factory crimp. several trips with typical groups.

Rainier wedge 180 grain load with only addition of the Lee collet die after Lee F.L. die. left group was shot first (5 rounds) then hot barrel 5 round group is on right.

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

docdom wrote:
Bob the nailer wrote:Not getting how to attach photos so I'll explain the group until I post the pictures.
Create a free account with an image hosting site like Imgur https://imgur.com/

You then upload your photos to your Imgur acct and then click on the photo and copy the BBcode and paste it into your post on this or any other forum...See below screenshot on where you are supposed to click after uploading your photo to Imgur

Thanks it works good.

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com