Better accuracy from homemade converted LC brass using Lee collet die.

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Re: Better accuracy from homemade converted LC brass using Lee collet die.

Post by Boolit_Head »

I use a stepped NOE expander plug replacement for a Lee universal expander die. Cant help you with the Raniers as I cast and powder coat my own 220 HP and 247's from Noe molds.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

CptCurl wrote:Hello all,

I just read all 11 pages of this thread with great interest.

I am intrigued with the Lee collet die for the 300 Blk., but also you have sparked an interest in the Rainier 180.

My experience with subsonic loads has been with Hornady 208 A-Max and H4198. It's amazing what can be done with this bullet.

Question:
After sizing your cases in the Lee collet sizing die, what do you use to bell the case mouth so it can receive the Rainier 180 without scraping the plating?

I have used Rainiers in various calibers, but so far I avoided the .30 180 for two reasons: (i) it's a bit light; and (ii) I don't want to find lead fouling or fouling from the plating in my gas system (AR) or in my silencer (TBAC 30P-1).

My AR upper is an AAC 12.5". My bolt gun is a Remington 700 Tactical - 16" 1:7 barrel. I much prefer the AR.

Thanks for sharing all this info.

Curl

P.S. I don't recall if I have tried 4227 in subsonic loads. If I migrate to the Rainier 180 I certainly will give this powder a run.
Re read Bob the nailers posts on page 11. He has done amazing things with the rainier bullets. Says he dosent need to bell the mouth.
Here is a video bob put together also. https://youtu.be/kHzQElpO4fo
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
Srt4ever

Post by Srt4ever »

Will this extra step be useful for the AR platform 300 ?
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Srt4ever wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:17 pm Will this extra step be useful for the AR platform 300 ?
I have found excellent results with my AR when adding the collet die after sizing. Your results my vary however it's worth the small investment to try. Accuracy and consistancy are obsessive things :mrgreen:
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com