What spring should I buy? (AR-15 pistol lower)

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Offy

What spring should I buy? (AR-15 pistol lower)

Post by Offy »

So after a couple trips to the range with my pistol build, I am fairly convinced my rifle is over-gassed. (1) I am seeing some double feeds. (2) I think I feel the replacement ST-T3 buffer bottoming out. (3) Seeing what appears to be too much crud on back of the bolt (for the number of total rounds fired) which I think is from extra gas pooping on it. Bought heavier buffer before the second trip to range. Yes, it will lock the bolt back with one round in the magazine.

Build: BCM lower parts kit (with it's crappy spring,) BCM 9" barrel, pistol length gas, BCM gas block, BCM bcg, Spikes ST-T3 buffer, Spikes upper/lower, Noveske KX-5 on the muzzle.

Anecdotal information: 1st range trip, factory ammunition Remington UMC 120gr OTFB worked better than the Freedom Munition 150gr FMJ. 2nd range trip, factory ammunition SIG sub and supersonic worked better than the Freedom re-manufactured again.

Extra information: I know that magazines designed for the 223/5.56 are not shaped perfectly for 300BLK. I have not chiseled or re-profiled the interior of my magazines. Not convinced that has caused my double feeds. Not opposed to modifying them, and I don't live in a free state so I can't try the MagPul 300BLK ones.

I'd like to run it suppressed someday, in which case I feel I'll need an adjustable gas block. Feel free to suggest any of those too.

For now though, I'd just like get a nicer spring which will be better tuned for this pistol. I think it should be heavier, but maybe just higher quality would help. Suggestions please?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Offy on Wed May 10, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Re: What spring should I buy? (AR-15 pistol lower)

Post by tfbit »

What is so "crappy" about BCM's spring?
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
Offy

Post by Offy »

tfbit wrote:What is so "crappy" about BCM's spring?
Perhaps I am exhibiting some ignorance, and a flippant attitude. I am not an expert, but I am trying to learn everything I can. Let's shelf the "crappy" adjective and say not as good as others for what I am trying to do.

I assumed there were other companies that put better quality materials into the buffer spring. I have read many posts on this forum about people having problems with pistol length gas systems. This seemed like my best chance to get information from other people who know more than me.

For the most part, I am pleased with all my BCM parts.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Damage Industries has an enhanced spring on sale now for $6. They work very well.

http://damageindustriesllc.com/store/in ... uct_id=409
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Instead of changing buffers and springs out you would be alot better off just getting an adjustable gas block. Its going to save alot of time.

If you plan on getting a supressor then shooting both subs and supers youll be switching out buffers or springs when changing ammo type.

I use a Jp silent capture spring and an SLR adjustable gas block. 5 clicks for supers, 11 for subs. Done.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
Offy

Post by Offy »

Thanks for the suggestions, I like Damage Industries stuff. Just started reading about the adjustable blocks, and hadn't seen SLR, so thank you. I'll keep reading and researching, but yeah...adjustable gas block it is.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

I have only used 3 brands of adjustable gas blocks and out of those the SLR is best. I have used the SLR in several rifles now and it works great.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne