Blowing primers

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

fxnteeth

Blowing primers

Post by fxnteeth »

Hello guys, new to the board. I have a DDM4 ISR. I have been shooting factory ammo for quite some time. I handloaded starting at 17.2 gr of H110 with a Nosler 125 grain BT. Lake city brass. small rifle primers. COAL 2.11 The shot blew out the primer and the case was mildly lodged. Doesn't seem like that charge would cause that, but am I missing something here.
thx
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Re: Blowing primers

Post by tfbit »

The primer popped out of the case and you had a failure to extract?
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

Are you checking primer pockets before reloading?
I use the Ballistic Tools go-no-go gauge in all brass.
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Published starting load for H110 and 125g projectile is 15.7g, not 17.2.

More than 17g of H110 is too hot for 125g projectiles in my guns.

"Working up a load" means just that.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

golfindia wrote:Published starting load for H110 and 125g projectile is 15.7g, not 17.2.

Uhh - 15.7 is starting load, 18.5 is max according to Hodgdon. I've loaded hotter.
That being said, OP have you measured a piece of fire formed brass. I'd be curious as to what your chamber measures.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

rebel wrote:
golfindia wrote:Published starting load for H110 and 125g projectile is 15.7g, not 17.2.

Uhh - 15.7 is starting load, 18.5 is max according to Hodgdon. I've loaded hotter.
That being said, OP have you measured a piece of fire formed brass. I'd be curious as to what your chamber measures.
So randomly picking a load in the middle is acceptable loading practice?

No.

Takehome is, not starting at the bottom and working up is dangerous. Particularly if you have a tight chamber and don't know it.

Bad practices are bad practices. Regardless of how many people have "loaded Em hotter".

Not for nothing, but i have not gone higher than 17.5g of H110 using any 125g projectile. Too hot.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

golfindia wrote:
rebel wrote:

So randomly picking a load in the middle is acceptable loading practice?

No.

Takehome is, not starting at the bottom and working up is dangerous. Particularly if you have a tight chamber and don't know it.

Bad practices are bad practices. Regardless of how many people have "loaded Em hotter".

Not for nothing, but i have not gone higher than 17.5g of H110 using any 125g projectile. Too hot.
Well, that's great man. I'm glad that works for you. He has never said he didn't work up to that. He just said startng at 17.2. I have no idea that he has used "bad practices". You assume that. It's where I'd start as experienced, and this guy may be.

I don't deal with sanctimonious to well so what would he have gained by starting at the bottom end?- nothing. He would have wasted powder and components until finally working up to a fairly weak load and popped a primer.
I guess we can agree both of of you have chamber issues. Hodgdon max load is 18.5, if you know what your doing with your chamber this is not an issue. I'm trying to figure out what's going on with his load and chamber, not have an ignorant 6 year old discussion about what's safe. He popped a primer, OK fine, something was over pressured - not like he was ready to spontaneously combust.

Let's get some details before assuming he needs to settle for an under performing load.
I believe my data on this forum is resume' enough to give merit to this post.

OP, details . We need details of your load and the measurements I asked. Otherwise this entire thread will be lost in a sea of mediocre, with folks telling you to do what you have already done, and discovered.
Details Man, details.
edit- Nosler book, 2 years old, lists 18 gr as max with an oal of 2.06 so unless your powder scale is way off, I doubt you are compressing a thing.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

At 17.2gr, its a fairly light load and shouldn't be doing that. How many shots did you fire and did you chrono it? If you only fired the one round and have others loaded/unfired, can you pull one and make sure you in fact loaded it it 17.2?
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Agree that 17.2g at 2.11" shouldn't be popping primers. If your chamber is that tight, you'd likely notice something with the factory ammo you've been shooting.

Also, since this is converted brass, what is your trim length? Brass that's too long certainly could cause this.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Too much crimp
too little neck tension
too much headspace
too tight chamber
should have used 296
over gassed

Did the primer fall out or was it blown out, can you put another one in?

What exactly is mildly lodged?

More info the better even a pic or two would not hurt.

If I had a barrel/rifle that showed a pressure sign with 17.5 of 296/H110 and a 125 grain bullet where the load wasn't compressed about 15% I would be asking for an exchange.

I am guessing the problem is some how in the load, but it's impossible to tell from info provided.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.