Is this a good, reliable Subsonic 300 Blackout round?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Re: Is this a good, reliable Subsonic 300 Blackout round?

Post by SwampDog_13 »

They'll be fine out of a can. What you are looking for are oblong holes that show the bullets are flying cattywampus like, aka destabilized.
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

Yup thous rounds look fine. Heavy cardboard is the best thing to test with. Sometimes paper can be a little hard to tell. If the holes are round you are good to go. Oblong holes or sideways bullet holes are what you are looking to avoid. The only rounds I have found that I would not shoot out of my can were Fiocchi 150g. No keyholes but I found that ammo to be of poor quality. So why risk it?
Be careful with your suppressor mount as well. Typically people damage their cans with a louse mount. Be careful with quick detach mounts to make sure they are locking up properly. Clean, lube and attach them them as the manufacture recommends.
A wile back some poor dude on this forum launched this brand NEW Omega .30 off the mount and into a stream! (ouch) The mount was not locking up quite right but he kept shooting anyway. Luckily this was on his property so he just waited until the river level went down. Then I think he had a driver go down and find it. He lucked out and other than a little surface rust the can was fine!
An once of prevention is worth a ton of FUBAR.

R
talk300

Post by talk300 »

RAINS wrote:Yup thous rounds look fine. Heavy cardboard is the best thing to test with. Sometimes paper can be a little hard to tell. If the holes are round you are good to go. Oblong holes or sideways bullet holes are what you are looking to avoid. The only rounds I have found that I would not shoot out of my can were Fiocchi 150g. No keyholes but I found that ammo to be of poor quality. So why risk it?
Be careful with your suppressor mount as well. Typically people damage their cans with a louse mount. Be careful with quick detach mounts to make sure they are locking up properly. Clean, lube and attach them them as the manufacture recommends.
A wile back some poor dude on this forum launched this brand NEW Omega .30 off the mount and into a stream! (ouch) The mount was not locking up quite right but he kept shooting anyway. Luckily this was on his property so he just waited until the river level went down. Then I think he had a driver go down and find it. He lucked out and other than a little surface rust the can was fine!
An once of prevention is worth a ton of FUBAR.

R

Good info. Thanks.

I've never seen anything about cleaning or lubing the suppressor. When I've watched the videos of the can being attached no one said anything about lub. It's a Sig QD titanium. Does it need lube?
jeremyp111

Post by jeremyp111 »

Thanks for the heads up on this ammo. I just ordered a thousand rounds to give it a try.
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

jeremyp111 wrote:Thanks for the heads up on this ammo. I just ordered a thousand rounds to give it a try.

Have you shot the ammo yet? How's accuracy?

I did some offhand and it wasn't very accurate, but that could have been me. It was a windy day too. However, reliability has been great.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I bought some Hornady pulls, hollow point in 9 mm. I didn't think these needed testing since it was a name brand an all. Hit the third baffle and rattled down the rest of the way with pieces hitting the endcap. The give-a-way was the can rattled when I took it off. Not a good sign :shock: . Luckily the tube was not damaged. Sent it back to the manufacturer and had it rebuilt.

From that point on, I test first at 3 ft and 10 ft for keyholes like the manufacturer's instructions advised with heavy, free hanging cardboard.
C. Chaos
Silent Operator

Post by C. Chaos »

300black wrote:
RAINS wrote:You need to make sure the load/bullet you are shooting is stable coming out of the mussel. Otherwise it can impact the inside of your suppressor and destroy it. Every new brand, load, bullet type and even different ammo lots need to be tested just to be careful. It's easy though. Fire some rounds threw some thick cardboard from fairly close up. Then try it again at 100ish yards. If they all have perfectly round holes you should be fine. If the holes are bigger than .30cal or they look sideways don't shoot them threw your can.
Most .300blk factory ammo is fine. However it's always better to be safe than sorry. After all it's not like silencers are cheap and or easy to get. Good luck!

R

This looks good to me. Do you guys think these bullets holes look like these bullets will shoot well out of the suppressor? (Don't worry about the accuracy, I was just shooting to hit the paper and in a rush.). These are Sellier Bellot .220 grain subsonic rounds.

I would say would be good to go through a can. Keep us updated with performance and feeding progress. I may need to try some of these out.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

something else you can use to test for stability - get some targets printed up on cardstock. just take a PDF to the local staples type store that does printing, give them the thumb drive with the file and ask them to print you a dozen or so copies. locally they're around $0.21 each. its not the cheapest thing going but $5 gets you a lot of testing targets to work with.

the heavier paper really cuts nice holes and it doesn't tear like paper targets do.

you can also buy it by the ream and print them yourself at home if you want to go that route.

http://a.co/h6Szw0g
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

plant.one wrote:something else you can use to test for stability - get some targets printed up on cardstock. just take a PDF to the local staples type store that does printing, give them the thumb drive with the file and ask them to print you a dozen or so copies. locally they're around $0.21 each. its not the cheapest thing going but $5 gets you a lot of testing targets to work with.

the heavier paper really cuts nice holes and it doesn't tear like paper targets do.

you can also buy it by the ream and print them yourself at home if you want to go that route.

http://a.co/h6Szw0g

If you use this paper, you can just hang it and shoot it for stability testing, right?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

you could always put a colored dot on there if you want a target without wasting any ink/toner or paying your local print shop to do it

http://a.co/4cpYRMV

or even be super cheap and grab the sharpie 8)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.