Will other magazine companies follow Magpul's lead in making a 300 Blackout magazine?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

talk300

Will other magazine companies follow Magpul's lead in making a 300 Blackout magazine?

Post by talk300 »

I've read that a lot of people have no problems with 300 Blackout in standard 5.56 magazines. However, some have said once they get into the larger weight bullets that there can be problems with operation. Some have said that they resolved this by modifying their magazines such as sanding/grinding down portions of their magazine. A lot of people don't want to have to modify magazines to make them work which is understandable as it's a pain and if you do it improperly you could ruin a magazine which could be costly for some folks. Also, if you have reliability issues with magazines that could be dangerous in a life or death situation. A lot of people just want to buy a magazine and it works with all rounds for that magazine. Obviously, a magazine specifically for 300 Blackout seems like a logical step. Magpul is taking the horse by the reins and is manufacturing their own new magazines in 300 Blackout.

Do you see the other magazine companies following Magpul's lead and designing their own 300 Blackout magazines?

Some may say it's unnecessary to have an actual 300 Blackout magazine and that they are doing it solely to sell more magazines. However, I for one will be one to buy a few of the mags because I do not want to modify my 5.56 mags and potentially make them unreliable. If Magpul makes the 300 Blackout magazines in different colors I will purchase them in a color that is different from my current Magpul 5.56 mags so that I can keep them separate and not accidentally mix the magazines up and load a 300 BO magazine into a 5.56 rifle and blow myself up.

Also, if the it is true and the U.S. Special Operations Command is looking to arm their soldiers with a new 300 Blackout weapon upper, then Magpul would be the only player in the game to sell a 300 Blackout magazine (that I know of) and would get that entire sale which could be a huge windfall.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Will other magazine companies follow Magpul's lead in making a 300 Blackout magazine?

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Actually, Magpul is following the lead of D&H.

I don't think we've had any confirmation yet that the Magpul 300blk magazine has any difference from their other magazines, other than cosmetic. Do you know of any differences in the Magpul magazines?
talk300

Re: Will other magazine companies follow Magpul's lead in making a 300 Blackout magazine?

Post by talk300 »

L1A1Rocker wrote:Actually, Magpul is following the lead of D&H.

I don't think we've had any confirmation yet that the Magpul 300blk magazine has any difference from their other magazines, other than cosmetic. Do you know of any differences in the Magpul magazines?

No. I thought the follower might be different?
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

talk300 wrote:
L1A1Rocker wrote:Actually, Magpul is following the lead of D&H.

No. I thought the follower might be different?
The booth guy at Shot Show was ignorant of any specific differences when asked. The write-up on it at the Magpul website is full of "seller's talk" about it, but the only difference they specifically note, is cosmetic on the outside of the mag.

https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-30 ... m3-300-blk

The D&H 300blk mags are a bit different than their 556 mags. The side rib is only single struck making that rib much shallower than the rib on the 556 mags.
Roverhound
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Roverhound »

I just ordered three 20 round D&H mags. I've been using D&H 30 round and Brownells 20 round mags for my 300 with decent results but I am getting occasional feed issues that I hope these will solve. I would rather tailor my loads to the firearm itself and not the magazine.
A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

Post by A Boy Named Sue »

Probably. But Lancer mags are about the same price as GEN3 Pmags (sometimes cheaper) and work better in my opinion. Plus those smokey clear ones are pretty cool.
The time calls for dark men to do dark things.
Do not be afraid to lead them to it.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

BTW, the Okay industries Surefeed magazines HAVE been tested with my bullet or at least I sent them a bunch of dummys because they said they wanted to test them in their magazine.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
threehundred
Senior Silent Operator

Post by threehundred »

As I have posted previously, Cammenga Mags have worked for me from day one, with 223/5.56 and 300BLK. After a long loading trial and error period, I now limit myself to 225gr. bullets at velocity just over subsonic speeds. These mags have never failed for me in almost 600 rounds of 225gr.

Link has pics, I think the lack of the interfering rib reportedly found in other mag designs is why these have worked for me, but, I have used Cammenga mags for over a decade and currently have no others to compare them to.

https://cammenga.com/product/magazines/ ... -easy-mag/
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

lancers work fine . no need to do any tricks or pay double the price because somebody stamped 300 blackout an a magazine . I use them for 5.56 , 300 blackout, 458 socom and 50 beowulf . I also use them in my mossberg mvp-thunder ranch 5.56 bolt gun .
threehundred
Senior Silent Operator

Post by threehundred »

Agreed, I picked up my Cammenga's for $12 plus shipping, a while back 8) haven't checked lately, but MSRP is not in my reality. They have worked on a few different AR platforms and my Rem 7615 without fail, in both 223/5.56 and 300BLK.

FWIW, after all these years of easy loading, even the thought of force feed loading one bullet at a time resurrects some very frustrated memories, for me. 8)

Did a quick search and found them for $14 and change, you may be able to do better, but this ain't that bad after over a decade!

https://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Cammenga- ... 32144.html