Anyone have a problem with a Sig QD mount not attaching to a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 BO?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone have a problem with a Sig QD mount not attaching to a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 BO?

Post by A-Game »

It is better to permanently change a 60.00 part than a barrel.

You can put the muzzle brake on a lathe and remove material from the rear of the brake. Not a lot, just enough to give you the extra threads you want so you know you are within your buddies comfort zone.

Every muzzle device that is threaded Right Hand will come loose without Rocksett, it is only a matter of time, unless the barrel twist is Left Hand, then it would tighten the muzzle brake with every shot..
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
300black
Silent Operator

Re: Anyone have a problem with a Sig QD mount not attaching to a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 BO?

Post by 300black »

A-Game wrote:It is better to permanently change a 60.00 part than a barrel.

You can put the muzzle brake on a lathe and remove material from the rear of the brake. Not a lot, just enough to give you the extra threads you want so you know you are within your buddies comfort zone.

Every muzzle device that is threaded Right Hand will come loose without Rocksett, it is only a matter of time, unless the barrel twist is Left Hand, then it would tighten the muzzle brake with every shot..

Thanks.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I am pretty sure that Sig will have a minimum thread length and shoulder diameter needed to use the tapered mounts. A quick call to customer service would likely give you that answer.

Most manufacturers that I know of want about .630-.650. Basically 5/8" in length.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

dellet wrote:I am pretty sure that Sig will have a minimum thread length and shoulder diameter needed to use the tapered mounts. A quick call to customer service would likely give you that answer.

Most manufacturers that I know of want about .630-.650. Basically 5/8" in length.

5/8" of an inch of thread used by the adapter? Is that 2 full turns?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

300black wrote:
dellet wrote:I am pretty sure that Sig will have a minimum thread length and shoulder diameter needed to use the tapered mounts. A quick call to customer service would likely give you that answer.

5/8" of an inch of thread used by the adapter? Is that 2 full turns?
Most companies will have something like this to mount their suppressors and or brakes. It is much more important with a direct thread application. What you would be asking about is distance required from muzzle crown to shoulder and shoulder diameter.

So in the drawing below thread length would be .600" and barrel diameter is .725"

You never know, maybe you got a bad barrel. I am sure others here could measure theirs to compare your's to.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Kanook

Post by Kanook »

If it were me, I would consider a couple options before altering the barrel

Remove material from inside the brake so that all the threads are used and create a "flat" to square it to.

Remove material from the back (the wrench flats) of the brake (shorten it) if the are not needed.

Find another brake that works

Once you remove material from the barrel, it'll be hard to sell if you decide
300 Blackout.....American as Apple Pie
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

Kanook wrote:If it were me, I would consider a couple options before altering the barrel

Remove material from inside the brake so that all the threads are used and create a "flat" to square it to.

Remove material from the back (the wrench flats) of the brake (shorten it) if the are not needed.

Find another brake that works

Once you remove material from the barrel, it'll be hard to sell if you decide

Thanks.

I found out that the brake is hitting the shoulder and stopping so there is just not enough threads. I would like to do one of you're options rather than alter the gun, less permanent to alter the adapter.
Kanook

Post by Kanook »

The other option to consider is contact http://www.trosusa.com/ and let them know what is going on. They custom make adapters.
300 Blackout.....American as Apple Pie
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

Update: Resolved

Apparently there are different adapters for different rifles. The suppressor comes with the adapter that fits the Sig line of weapons, no surprise there. I wish they would have put this on their website, that different rifles require different adapters. The new adapter I received definitely has a lot more threads in it and they start far earlier making the threads start far closer to the end of the adapter. I'm happy that I didn't have to do anything drastic like downturn the barrel or buy a custom adapter.

I know that Sig has been knocked in the past for having some horrible customer service but I've got to say that I was treated great. Their employee went out of his way to take care of me.
mr.revolverguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mr.revolverguy »

Glad you got it resolved I got really worried after 12 months and a few days I finally got the same setup and got panicked when I saw this thread. I finally got a chance to mount everything up and mine is perfect, but I did not order any different mounts. I think Sig may have changed the design.
Self Proclaimed -- The largest independent 300 Blackout reloading database.
http://www.dayattherange.com