Anyone have a problem with a Sig QD mount not attaching to a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 BO?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300black
Silent Operator

Anyone have a problem with a Sig QD mount not attaching to a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 BO?

Post by 300black »

It's a Sig SRD762Ti in 7.62. My friend tried to attach it and said that the mount goes over the threads and only catches about 2-3 of them. He said it needed to be "downturned" but I don't know what that means. I don't think there is another mount specifically for 300 Blackout since it's .30 cal which is the same as 7.62, correct?

Last edited by 300black on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone have a problem with a Sig QD mount not attaching to a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 BO?

Post by mbogo »

One of the two may be threaded differently (e.g., 5/8-24 vs. 5/8-32).

Check the specs on both.

mbogo
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone have a problem with a Sig QD mount not attaching to a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 BO?

Post by A-Game »

Your RARR in 300 Blackout has a thread pitch of 5/8x24.

The nomenclature you are using is incorrect.

The sig muzzle brakes are threaded 1/2x28 for 5.56QD silencers and 7.62QD silencers, also 5/8x24 for 5.56QD Silencers and 7.62QD silencers. Titanium or not makes no difference.

There are additional thread pitches available M18x1

A brake designed for the 7.62 silencer will not fit in a 5.56 silencer. A 5.56 brake will not fit in a 7.62 silencer.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

A-Game wrote:Your RARR in 300 Blackout has a thread pitch of 5/8x24.

The sig muzzle brakes are threaded 1/2x28 for 5.56QD silencers and 7.62QD silencers, also 5/8x24 for 5.56QD Silencers and 7.62QD silencers. Titanium or not makes no difference.

A brake designed for the 7.62 silencer will not fit in a 5.56 silencer. A 5.56 brake will not fit in a 7.62 silencer.

The one I have is the SRD762Ti. I made a mistake earlier.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

300black wrote:

The one what?

Your Silencer is the SRD762TI-QD? That is the Silencer I own. I have mounted a couple muzzle brakes and I haven't had any issue with it loosening up on me. I used a dab of Rocksett on the threads and no issue.
The muzzle brake in your photo looks like it has been used. What was it used on previous a 5.56?
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

A-Game wrote:
300black wrote:

The one what?

Your Silencer is the SRD762TI-QD? That is the Silencer I own. I have mounted a couple muzzle brakes and I haven't had any issue with it loosening up on me. I used a dab of Rocksett on the threads and no issue.
The muzzle brake in your photo looks like it has been used. What was it used on previous a 5.56?

No. It's all brand new. It's a SRD762TI.

He said it is less then 2 full turns til tight and he'd like to see 4-6 full turns. He said he'd like to see 1/2" of threads used and it's about 1/8" right now.

Could I have the wrong mount?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Looks like he has the "taper lock" brake?

It requires a tapered shoulder on the barrel

The Taper-Lok muzzle devices are designed to work with Sig Sauer Silencer SRD-QD models. The dual taper (both at the shoulder of the barrel and at the suppressor) creates the most repeatable system for mounting a suppressor on a rifle to date! Gone are the days of shimming a muzzle brake as well. This new system from Sig is a two piece mount that allows the end user to torque the suppressor mount onto their barrel and replace and time the "muzzle device" to their preference (flash hider, 2 or 1 port brake).

Last edited by dellet on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

I think your friend may have talked about turning down the outer diameter of the shoulder in order to engage all the threads on the break.

When the brake hits the shoulder does it wobble after you torque it to spec?

If it doesn't then you are fine.

Edit: A precision alignment rode should always be used to determine if it is safe to fire with your silencer.
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

A-Game wrote:I think your friend may have talked about turning down the outer diameter of the shoulder in order to engage all the threads on the break.

When the brake hits the shoulder does it wobble after you torque it to spec?

If it doesn't then you are fine.

Edit: A precision alignment rode should always be used to determine if it is safe to fire with your silencer.

It doesn't wobble but he said it could come loose. Not that it will. Just that it could and then I could have a problem.
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

A-Game wrote:
300black wrote:

The one what?

Did you mount your SRD762TI-QD to a RARR with no problem using the taperlock mount/adapter that came with the suppressor?