Your best group

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Your best group

Post by rebel »

bearcatrp wrote:
Bob the nailer wrote:300 BlackOut with Subsonic Rainier wedge 180 grain flat points. First two shots upper left got it out to 100 yards then dialed in for zero. Next three shots printed sub-moa with the Wedge bullets, quite happy with the preformance thru an AR.
What is your setup? Is that commercial ammo? My 16 inch barreled 300BO shooting supers don't even come close to your groups. Am still waiting on Hornady to release their 190 gr subsonic ammo. If those don't work well, may look at those bullets.
Bear, Bob has been working with that somewhat crappy plated thing for months. He got it shooting respectable, can't wait to see his groups with a good bullet like an SMK. If you are not getting groups near that supersonic, yo need to back up and reassess some processes IMO.
I'm not dogging you or anything, but maybe you need to post your load in another thread and let folks weigh in on it. That's why we are here.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Pretty sure I know the issue. 110 v-max with 20.0 gr of H-110. Can’t get a consistent crimp. Plus my ES is high. Still working on it though.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

bearcatrp wrote:Pretty sure I know the issue. 110 v-max with 20.0 gr of H-110. Can’t get a consistent crimp. Plus my ES is high. Still working on it though.
Brass prep is critical to consistancy are you using a Lee collet neck die after a F.L. resize? trimming brass to same length will result in a consistant crimp. A note that crimping will not correct a neck tension problem, is your high ES producing vertical stringing?

It was a long road tuning the Rainier Wedge 180's to shoot. That little Blk case is tuneable if you watch details with case prep and proper bullet seating. I started with +2" 100 yard groups to sub-moa and really like the high B.C. (0.375) and low cost factor of the Plated bullets at subsonic velocity.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com