Subsonic setup question

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Gimli

Subsonic setup question

Post by Gimli »

I posted this in an existing thread in the AR-15 forum a few days ago and so far haven't had a response. Since there seems to be more traffic in this forum, I'm re-asking it here.
Gimli wrote:Hi, new here. Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I'm completely new to AR-15's and trying to learn. I've decided to build a 300 blackout and I have read through this thread.

Is it fair to say that, for a 16" barrel, the most likely combination to work reliably with suppressed sub-sonics and unsuppressed super-sonics is a pistol length gas system and an H2 carbine buffer?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll be doing much more reading here :)
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Subsonic setup question

Post by smustian »

Should work or you might have to go to a carbine buffer. Try it and see.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Gimli wrote:I posted this in an existing thread in the AR-15 forum a few days ago and so far haven't had a response. Since there seems to be more traffic in this forum, I'm re-asking it here.
Gimli wrote:Hi, new here. Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I'm completely new to AR-15's and trying to learn. I've decided to build a 300 blackout and I have read through this thread.

Is it fair to say that, for a 16" barrel, the most likely combination to work reliably with suppressed sub-sonics and unsuppressed super-sonics is a pistol length gas system and an H2 carbine buffer?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll be doing much more reading here :)
Your choice is what I use. Reloading gives you the most options.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I would add an adjustable gas block to the gun so you can tune it for what you are shooting.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I always cut across the grain on this one.

Carbine gas with carbine buffer, takes a little more effort, restricts you to only a few powders (half a dozen or so) and can limit your bullet weight to 168 grains and above without getting creative.

The plus is that it will run cleaner and quieter with both subs and supers than pistol gas, and will be more pleasant to shoot with supers.

I still run an adjustable block with carbine gas to switch between sub/super suppressed.

This is exactly why new guys need to read a lot before they post. Otherwise all they do is stir up crap and get the old guys fighting among themselves :lol:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dellet wrote:This is exactly why new guys need to read a lot before they post. Otherwise all they do is stir up crap and get the old guys fighting among themselves :lol:
Nobody would argue with you if you'd post the right answer. :lol:

Actually, I'm with you on this. Just don't see the need for pistol gas on a 16" barrel.

Here's my theory:
1. If you're not suppressed, there is no point in using subs.
2. If you are suppressed, get an SBR, because a suppressor on the end of a 16" AR barrel is silly.
3. If you have an SBR, it will be pistol gas by default. Problem solved. :mrgreen:
Gimli

Post by Gimli »

bangbangping wrote:
dellet wrote:This is exactly why new guys need to read a lot before they post. Otherwise all they do is stir up crap and get the old guys fighting among themselves :lol:
Nobody would argue with you if you'd post the right answer. :lol:

Actually, I'm with you on this. Just don't see the need for pistol gas on a 16" barrel.

Here's my theory:
1. If you're not suppressed, there is no point in using subs.
2. If you are suppressed, get an SBR, because a suppressor on the end of a 16" AR barrel is silly.
3. If you have an SBR, it will be pistol gas by default. Problem solved. :mrgreen:
My issue with your second point is that I don't want to add $200 just to have a SBR. I don't have a problem with the $200 for a suppressor because I see added value in that. If it wasn't for that, I'd agree with you completely.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

To the OP,
Do you reload?
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I assume you are wanting a quiet gun because you have a silencer, or will have. And if it is a quiet gun you seek then I would step away from the AR because ARs are never quiet for the shooter.

What you want if you want to be quiet is something that doesn't use gas to function.

I have ARs, a bolt action and a couple of break actions. The gun that gets shot more than any other is my Encore with a 16" barrel. The reason is it is quieter than anything else I own. They also make pump action ARs that would be quiet but still be almost as quiet as a semi auto.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Gimli

Post by Gimli »

hardcase wrote:To the OP,
Do you reload?
I do not. Yet. My dad (who lives out of state) does reload 300 Whisper, though, so I will at least have the opportunity to reload at some point. Why do you ask?