Another Kiwi

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Tentman

Another Kiwi

Post by Tentman »

Hello from down in New Zealand

I've been hunting for 50 plus years, reloading for 35 or more, and as my wife says it is so, it must be - I'm a gun nut!

Up till now I've been a Bolt gun man (except for some .22's) but after seeing how effective a 300 can be on game at super velicities, and the reduced meat damage, a Semi auto 300 is calling.

I've ordered parts for my first AR build (in 300 BLK), and it'll be the first time I've handled an AR since I was in our Territorial Army (as a Artillery Sig, mainly on FO's) over 35 years ago.

My thanks to all those here who have taken the time to post up such a wonderful trove of information, and who continue to answer "newbie" questions.

Cheers
Foster
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: Another Kiwi

Post by blaster »

welcome from the tropical part of Florida.
good luck on your new AR build. I think you will like it.
peace through superior firepower
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

Tentman wrote:Hello from down in New Zealand

I've been hunting for 50 plus years, reloading for 35 or more, and as my wife says it is so, it must be - I'm a gun nut!

Up till now I've been a Bolt gun man (except for some .22's) but after seeing how effective a 300 can be on game at super velicities, and the reduced meat damage, a Semi auto 300 is calling.

I've ordered parts for my first AR build (in 300 BLK), and it'll be the first time I've handled an AR since I was in our Territorial Army (as a Artillery Sig, mainly on FO's) over 35 years ago.

My thanks to all those here who have taken the time to post up such a wonderful trove of information, and who continue to answer "newbie" questions.

Cheers
Foster

Kia Ora from Texas!

Good job. If you need any help or guidance we can get it done. :mrgreen:
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of ARs, They should come with a warning because its hard to have just one. :lol:
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Tentman wrote:Hello from down in New Zealand

Cheers
Foster
Hi there and welcome!

I expect to see plenty of pics of Red Deer, and Goats being killed and eaten :D
You will have a blast :P
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

Hello fellow kiwi,
There’s a wealth of knowledge on this forum, look forward the seeing your new AR. I’ve been thinking of getting one for a while but don’t want to loose the brass and don’t want to use a brass catcher.

Here’s a couple of deer from the other days hunting trip in Marlborough, seen 28 deer in the bush over a five day trip thanks to the dog.

Stag head shot at 18m

Hind neck shot at 30m, the dog winded her from our tent 300m away.

Neck shot with a Lehigh Defence 168gr CF subsonic, a quick kill for tasty meat.

Tentman

Post by Tentman »

Thanks Guys. Ive got a steep learning curve ahead but thats the fun of it. My AR parts are ordered - not what is necessarily ideal or the best but a budget build from the fairly limited selection of AR parts availble in NZ.

Aero Precision upper and lower with milspec Formosan (Taiwanese) internals. A mate is going to give me a JTM trigger soon so I do have an upgrade from milspec. Barrel is a CMMG 12.5" .

I have dies and will make some cases this weekend. I'm not going to sweat loosing a few cases hunting, if i get 50% back I'll be happy - hopefully if I tune the adjustable gas block carefully this should be achievable.

Cheers