All the new friends I'll have with my new suppressed 300 AAC BLK....proper etiquette

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Crazy Carl
Silent Operator

Re: All the new friends I'll have with my new suppressed 300 AAC BLK....proper etiquette

Post by Crazy Carl »

All my friends shoot, so we all "get" it & gladly let one another check out various toys.

I rarely have strangers ask to shoot one of my guns, with the exception of my .45-70 Guide Gun. At $2/trigger pull, it is most definitely not cheap to shoot, but I'll spot most anyone the $2, just to see the look on their faces 8)
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben...
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Re: All the new friends I'll have with my new suppressed 300 AAC BLK....proper etiquette

Post by rjacobs »

Crazy Carl wrote: I rarely have strangers ask to shoot one of my guns, with the exception of my .45-70 Guide Gun. At $2/trigger pull, it is most definitely not cheap to shoot, but I'll spot most anyone the $2, just to see the look on their faces 8)
We were out shooting my dads guide gun one day. My buddy and I were shooting some trailboss powder puff loads. Our other buddy says "can I shoot it" "sure, ammo is over there". He grabs one of the zip lock bags, loads it up, and BOOOOOOOM. I didnt realize he had grabbed a full power load. He just kind of looked at us and said "man you guys handle that gun like its nothing, that thing kicked me like a mule". I shot a look at my other buddy and we just shrugged our shoulders.

Another buddy cant bring himself to sell his Barrett .50. He said he doesnt shoot it hardly at all and mostly just brings it out for others to shoot. He will hand you a 200 round ammo can and say go to town. I dont think anybody has ever shot more than 10 rounds.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
Rick Finsta
Silent Operator

Post by Rick Finsta »

First five are on me, after that they've gotta supply the ammo or they need to offer something cool for me to shoot. The way I figure it the more people shoot SBRs and silencers the more people we have on our side when the politics and legality of them come up.
tskwik
Silent Operator

Post by tskwik »

rjacobs wrote:Another buddy cant bring himself to sell his Barrett .50. He said he doesnt shoot it hardly at all and mostly just brings it out for others to shoot. He will hand you a 200 round ammo can and say go to town. I dont think anybody has ever shot more than 10 rounds.
Note to the OP: only shoot with rjacobs' buddy, problem solved. :lol:
In a firefight, incoming fire always has the right of way.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

tskwik wrote:
Note to the OP: only shoot with rjacobs' buddy, problem solved. :lol:
He's a hoot to go shoot with.

Last time out he brought a Tromix Saiga and a couple flats of 12g and 3 or 4 20 round drum mags, an M16 with a 7.5" barrel(of course we had some fun with some subsonic, suppressed full auto with my upper and can), and an MP5SD. For the machine guns he just asks that people bring their own factory ammo and they can shoot them all they want. He will always bring out the Barrett if people will lug it up from his basement and out to the range. Ive shot it enough that I dont care to lug a 50lb gun and pelican case around.

He has a PKM now, used to have an M2, Thompson and a bunch of other stuff. He buys and sells various machine guns all the time.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

I learned my lesson the hard way too. Now, I offer to let them shoot by loading about 4-5 rounds of my cheap reloads and let em have at it. I did let a guy shoot 10 but he had a S&W .460 and .500 he let me shoot. By the way if you have the opportunity, PASS ON SHOOTING A .500!!! That thing kicks like a mule!
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

If I knew he was serious, I'd empty that can. Open offer. I will shoot up all your ammo. Any takers?

But pweeeease?
keith13b
Senior Silent Operator

Post by keith13b »

My time is very limited, so I usually go to the range alone and don't make much eye contact with others. I call it my "me" time to get away. Most people mind their own business and don't consider me rude - I just look focused yet polite.

As for your dilemma, you can always say you are working on your loads and don't want anything to happen to them citing liability as well as cost, but offer up a round or three if they are truly interested! Who knows, they may have some gem in a case they might let you fire a round or two.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Twinsen wrote:If I knew he was serious, I'd empty that can. Open offer. I will shoot up all your ammo. Any takers?

But pweeeease?
amen to that, if i could spend and afternoon behind a .50 on someone elses nickle you'd better be serious when you say i can empty the can, cuz i'mma do my damnest. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

but yea when i have friends over i dont mind bringing out a few toys and watching the smiles. I let the neighbor shoot a mag of slugs out of my Lonestar Saiga a few weekends ago. he took like 2 shots and looked at me... i was like.. go for it man.. grip it and rip it lol. I though the smile was gonna split his head in half once he got done with that 10 rounder lol
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BlkBeard
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlkBeard »

I have weird hours so I go to the range alone.

I have some exotic toys so I sometimes get people looking, then I just do one of those "I don't play well with others" stares and that's the end of it.

If it's a kid ogling something I talk to them, and their parent will usually come up and say something like "don't bother the nice man" and I will tell them it's ok and make sure the kid has been educated in firearms and then tell the kid if he wants to fire something he has to ask the parents permission. I will then tell them the history and specs of the weapon and then they can fire as much as they want.

Biggest smile I ever saw was this skinny timid looking kid that kept inching closer while I was setting up one of my more basic plinker toys, a milled Polytech with a drum on rapid fire day.

He fired a shot and looked at me and I told him he could empty it if he wanted. He ended up dumping a 75 round drum and probably fell asleep that night with the corners of his mouth still touching his earlobes. :lol:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: In Dog Beers....... I've Only Had One