300blk build worth it when can't find any ammo?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Blessedcajun

300blk build worth it when can't find any ammo?

Post by Blessedcajun »

Hey guys, I'm at the point in my rifle build where its time to decide caliber. I started this project with the goal of building a 300blk to hunt and to have fun with. However, I've been attempting to accumulate ammo in the mean time and can barely find any. I don't have the ability to reload so that's out as of now but plan on getting into it in the future.. Do any of you know if ammo will resurface any time soon or is there a site, etc that I just don't know about? I'd love to finish the build but can't find any ammo locally (Phoenix and surrounding areas). Should I just count on my future reloads? Thanks in advance.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300blk build worth it when can't find any ammo?

Post by Jim Timber »

300BLK is a reloaders caliber right now. The issue with ammo availability is due to it not being as popular as 5.56/.223 and being popular enough that ammo gets scooped up as soon as it's available. As things continue to go better for 300BLK (it's catching on like wildfire here in MN), ammo manufacturers will fill the void.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

In the past 6 months, I have acquired ammo from Midway (Remington UMC 220gr has been in stock on at least 3 occasions in the past 3 months), Ozark Ordnance (147 and 150gr), Freedom Munitions (147 gr), Lehigh Defense(110,174,194 gr), Local gun show (Barnes Black Tip 110gr). So, I am not sure where the idea of no ammo comes from.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

20X11 wrote:In the past 6 months, I have acquired ammo from Midway (Remington UMC 220gr has been in stock on at least 3 occasions in the past 3 months), Ozark Ordnance (147 and 150gr), Freedom Munitions (147 gr), Lehigh Defense(110,174,194 gr), Local gun show (Barnes Black Tip 110gr). So, I am not sure where the idea of no ammo comes from.
http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/300blackout/

As low as $0.70 right now. Not great, but you should see what 22lr goes for...
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Sithlord wrote: http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/300blackout/

As low as $0.70 right now.
There are some GREAT deals on PNW ammo on there. PNW is VERY high quality stuff. The "Match" and "Hunting" ammo I have from them is all new manufacture in properly head stamped brass. Might have to get some of their "Range" ammo to check out.
jrennie

Post by jrennie »

As I don't reload either this was my concern with 300 when I swapped barrels. 3 suppliers with .65ish fmj ammo in stock right now and a host of sub or specialty ammo available I'd say go for it, especially if you are doing a sbr or pistol. Having had a 7.5" 5.56 before I can tell you that is fun for about 3 rounds before your ears hurt even doubled up.
Toxarch
Silent But Deadly

Post by Toxarch »

Your best bet is ordering online. Decide what you want to shoot and then search for it online. Sign up for a bunch of wait lists on sites with prices you are willing to pay. Suppliers seem to send them out in a big batch. So when one starts getting them in, then most start getting them in and your e-mail gets full from in-stock notices. Might take up to about 3 months so buy what you need to last. then save your brass and sell it to the reloaders here.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

The way things are currently, if you will be dependent on factory loaded ammo and not willing to load your own, stay away! If the aforementioned does apply to you and you still decide to go BLK, PLEASE no crying about how you can't shoot your new gun because of the lack of factory ammo :lol:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
jettcity1
Silent But Deadly

Post by jettcity1 »

I have aquired factory ammo from numerous sources in the last 6 months and its only a matter of time before more and more vendors start producing it at better prices and rates.
Midway USA, Cabelas, Sportsmans Guide to name just a few. I also set-up a RCBS Rock Chucker with a cut-off saw and the gear to produce some great rounds.
I hit the gunshows and am seeing it bulk, boxed up and ready.
Its not "cheap" but its out there.
Toxarch
Silent But Deadly

Post by Toxarch »

I got an e-mail this morning that a vendor is selling Remington UMC 220g and Remington Match 125g by the case with a limit of 2 cases (400 rounds). They also have Barnes VOR-TX 100g and several other brands in stock. Ammo is available if you look. Even Walmart occasionally gets UMC 220g ammo in.