Been a while but I'm back.

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Been a while but I'm back.

Post by Walkers Bay »

Well it's been a while.
So I haven't had a 300blk since April last year when our Government decided to steal my Ar15 because of the actions of an Australian terrorist in Christchurch.
And I know what your going to say, why give it up, yeah I did the right thing by the laws we had and mine was registered and it wasn't worth the issues for a couple of rifles.
So in the mean time I have been slinging a Remington mountain rifle in 308.
I got the opportunity to take a few of your countrymen out for a hunt early this year and I got yarning with a fella Jerry Miculek about the 300blk I'd had and what I'd done with it and loads etc..
Well I got to looking for another and I found just the one I wanted today.
I picked up a near new Ruger American with a red dot sight and a hushpower aluminium reflex suppressor.
The red dot will go in the trash, I'll replace it with my Vortex from my AR and to be honest the suppressor will probably end up beside it in favor of a DPT.
But I'm looking forward to shooting deer again with subs
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Been a while but I'm back.

Post by dellet »

Good to hear from you Walker.

Honestly, since you went silent after all that garbage went down I worried some. Sounds like a had time with a man many of of would like to meet. I imagine story time in camp could be quite fun.

Nice to know you’re back In the blackout game, look forward to hearing a few of your new adventures.

Take good care.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Yeah cheers man.
I've been lucky to take a few of the pro circuit shooters for a walk. Friends of mine work and live 6 months on 6 months off in the states on Jerry and Kay's range.
They are both super nice people and really down to earth, was a bit hard trying to sneak along and not chat about this and that.

I tell ya after I'd handed my AR in it took some getting used to a bolt gun again. First night shoot with it and we ran into a mob of 15 red deer, my hunting buddy was stoked I didn't have it, he said we'd still be up their now gutting and dragging deer back to the truck. Still we tidied up 3, not without me double tapping one with 178gr .308 pills...
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I think these are a bit easier to find down there, or are they on the bad list also?
Remington 7615 in 223 is an easy conversion
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

dellet wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:47 am Image

I think these are a bit easier to find down there, or are they on the bad list also?
Remington 7615 in 223 is an easy conversion
You know I couldn't tell you if they are or not.
I do recall shouldering one a while ago and comenting how it weighed quite a bit. I have a recollection of it being a 20g receiver with less mill work?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

There were three versions , a ranch rifle, a hunter and a patrol. The Patrol was synthetic stock and a 16" barrel. The others were 18" and maybe 22". The Patrol is right at 36" long.

Yes, 20 ga 870 accessories fit including the adjustable stock, or Lumley Arms makes adapters so any of the 12 ga stuff can be used.

I like the 16" barrel and can see where the longer barrel with a suppressor could be a bit awkward. I think mine weighs in just under 7 pounds without a scope, magazine or suppressor. I should check with a full mag of subs.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

dellet wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:45 pm There were three versions , a ranch rifle, a hunter and a patrol. The Patrol was synthetic stock and a 16" barrel. The others were 18" and maybe 22". The Patrol is right at 36" long.

Yes, 20 ga 870 accessories fit including the adjustable stock, or Lumley Arms makes adapters so any of the 12 ga stuff can be used.

I like the 16" barrel and can see where the longer barrel with a suppressor could be a bit awkward. I think mine weighs in just under 7 pounds without a scope, magazine or suppressor. I should check with a full mag of subs.
Barrel length is the one place or laws actually work. 30 inches from butt to crown is a rifle, shotgun etc. Under 30 it's a pistol and a different set of rules .
So knocking 4 inches off the barrel is no big deal, I'm going to try this RAR for a bit and could chop it in front of the fore grip. It would make sense then to put a muzzle forward suppressor on but if I cut the stock then I could get more volume with a muzzle back and only 2 inches of added length.
Not sure yet.

Checked with my gunsmith this morning and hes sure those pumps are on the naughty list.
The punch line to the whole buy back was it got 13% compliance by the best estimates of import numbers so nothing really will change much.